EMORY COLLEGE. BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
Emory College Board of Trustees records,
Emory College Board of Trustees records, 1837-1919
Emory University Archives
Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library
Atlanta, GA 30322
Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmpzh
Table of Contents
|Creator:||Emory College. Board of Trustees.|
|Title:||Emory College Board of Trustees records, 1837-1919|
|Call Number:||Series No. 46|
|Extent:||.25 linear ft. (1 box), 6 bound volumes (BV), and 2 microfilm reels (MF)|
|Abstract:||Collection includes minutes, reports, and other records of the Emory College Board of Trustees. Records relate to faculty appointments, College finances, the conferring of degrees, campus planning, and other issues.|
|Language:||Materials entirely in English.|
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Special restrictions apply: Due to preservation concerns, researchers are required to use the microfilm copy of Minutes, 1837-1919. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Additional Physical Form
Minutes, 1837-1919, are also available on microfilm.
Related Materials in This Repository
Georgia Conference Manual Labor School Board of Trustees minutes (Series 45); Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Educational Commission records (Series 122); and Emory University Board of Trustees records (Series 39).
[after identification of item(s)], Emory College Board of Trustees records, Emory University Archives, Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.
Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2002.
The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was organized by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1834. The first students enrolled in 1835, and, by 1836, the Manual Labor School trustees had begun to favor the idea of extending the school's charter to provide for a university-type educational institute authorized to award diplomas and to grant degrees in literary study.
To fulfill that new purpose, Emory College was organized by the trustees of the Manual Labor School under the authority of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new college was chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia, December 10, 1836. The original Manual Labor School was never a financial success and continued as a separate entity only until July 22, 1840. At a joint meeting of the Boards of Trustees of the Manual Labor School and Emory College on that date, the two Boards were merged and the Manual Labor School officially transferred all its assets and liabilities to Emory College.
The original charter of Emory College was amended October 31, 1870, to recognize the formal relationships of the North Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South; the South Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Church, South; and the Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South to the Board of Trustees and the College.
Emory University was chartered on January 25, 1915, with members of the Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, serving also as the Board of Trustees for the new university. On March 17, 1915, the charter of Emory College was again amended to allow Emory College to become the College of Emory University. On March 31, 1915, the Emory University Board of Trustees elected a new Board of Trustees for Emory College from among their number, and, on April 1, 1915, the formal and legal transfer of the assets and affairs of Emory College to Emory University took place.
The College continued to function on its original campus at Oxford until the summer of 1919, when it was transferred to the new Emory University campus in Atlanta. The last meeting of a separate Board of Trustees for Emory College took place on June 7, 1919 at Oxford in conjunction with Emory College Commencement.
Scope and Content Note
Collection consists primarily of handwritten minutes from Emory College Board of Trustees meetings from the College's founding in 1837 until 1919 when the College moved to the Emory University campus in Atlanta. Records relate to faculty appointments, College finances, the conferring of degrees, campus planning, and other issues. Also included are reports to the Board of Trustees from Board committees and College administrators and a few other items related to the activities of the Board.
Arranged by file type.
- Emory College--Administration.
- Emory College--Faculty.
- Emory College--Finance.
- Emory College--Planning.
- Campus planning--Georgia.
- College teachers--Selection and appointment--Georgia.
- College trustees--Georgia.
- Degrees, Academic.
- Universities and colleges--Georgia--Administration.
- Universities and colleges--Georgia--Faculty.
- Universities and colleges--Georgia--Finance.
|BV 1||Minutes, 1837-1871|
|BV 2||Minutes, 1871-1887|
|BV 3||Minutes, 1887-1901|
|MF1||Minutes, 1837-1901 [Includes contents of Folders 1-2 and BV 1-3]|
|BV 4||Minutes, 1902-1908|
|BV 5||Minutes, 1909-1915|
|BV 6||Minutes, 1916-1919|
|MF2||Minutes, 1902-1919 [Includes contents of BV 4-6]|
|1||4||Reports to the Board of Trustees, 1844-1858|
|1||5||Reports to the Board of Trustees, 1862-1863|
|1||6||Reports to the Board of Trustees, 1865-1867|
|1||7||Reports to the Board of Trustees, 1868-1869|
|1||8||Reports to the Board of Trustees, 1871-1876|
|1||9||Reports to the Board of Trustees, 1886-1896|
|1||10||Reports to the Board of Trustees, undated [19th century]|
|1||11||Reports to the Board of Trusttes, 1904-1918|
|1||12||Memorials and endowments, 1908-1909|
|1||13||Legal documents, 1850 and 1913|