Nov 13-Feb 1, Rose Library will be by appointment only, requiring one week's notice. Please contact rose.library@emory.edu for assistance.

ATLANTA COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS.
Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons records, 1846-1913

Emory University

Health Sciences Archives

Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library

1462 Clifton Road, NE

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-8727

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/f7z37


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Title: Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons records, 1846-1913
Call Number:Series No. 003
Extent: 2.45 linear ft. (8 boxes + 12 bound volumes)
Abstract:Contains announcements, annual reports, board of trustees minutes, financial records, and other material related to the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Southern Medical College records, Atlanta School of Medicine records, Atlanta Medical College records, Emory School of Medicine records, Health Sciences Center Library Artifact collection.

Source

Unknown.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons Records, Health Sciences Archives, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2002.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

The Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons was formed in 1898 as a result of the union of the Atlanta Medical College headed by Dr. W. S. Kendrick and the Southern Medical College headed by Dr. W. S. Elkin. The debts of the schools, as well as their properties and most of the faculty members, were assumed by the new organization. The charter was approved on November 8, 1898 with Dr. Kendrick as dean of the College. First year enrollment totaled 333, only fifteen short of the combined enrollments of the separate schools for the previous year. At the first commencement, held in 1900, it was announced that effective in 1901 four courses of lectures would be required for the degree.

In 1903 Dr. Edward G. Jones was appointed registrar for the school. Two years later Dr. Jones’ request to be assigned to the gynecological clinic was refused by a majority of the faculty and the position of registrar was also declared vacant. As a result, Dean Kendrick resigned his position and was replaced by Dr. W. S. Elkin. Drs. Jones and Kendrick immediately began plans to form the Atlanta School of Medicine.

Just prior to Dr. Kendrick’s resignation, a campaign was begun to raise funds for the construction of a new building to house the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons. Construction was begun in 1907 on the site of the former Atlanta Medical College building. It was financed in part by generous donations from Dr. A. W. Calhoun, Dean Elkin, and Andrew Carnegie. The building was completed that same year, resulting in a total of five buildings dedicated to the teaching of medicine, pharmacology and dentistry.

Academic standards rose progressively over the next seven years. Admissions standards were raised in 1909 to require the equivalent of a first grade teacher’s certificate; in 1912 this was raised again to require four years of high school work. The faculty instituted a system of faculty advisors and committees. Grady Hospital eventually allowed one ward tour per day, providing the first opportunity for bedside instruction. A library was created in 1909, with a sum of $150.00 allocated for the purchase of books and journals. In 1910 the School of Pharmacy was closed down to provide laboratory space for the college.

Despite these improvements, however, increased standards put in place by the American Medical Association made it extremely difficult to obtain high ratings. As a result, the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons began negotiations aimed at merger with the Atlanta School of Medicine. The merger took place in 1913 and resulted in the formation of the second Atlanta Medical College.

Scope and Content Note

The records of the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons consist primarily of annual announcements (1898-1908); annual reports (1907-1913); board of trustees minutes (1899-1913); and financial records including account books, cash record books and a student roster/tuition payment record. Other items of interest include information pertaining to the laying of the cornerstone of the new building in 1906; commencement invitations; deeds of trust relating to the merger with Atlanta School of Medicine and the subsequent founding of Atlanta Medical College; faculty minutes (1906-1913); registration books from 1901; and an undated student petition requesting that each days’ exercises be opened with prayer.

Arrangement Note

Organized by material type and chronologically thereunder.


Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Historical Information
Box Folder Content
1 1 Alumni biographical, undated
1 2 Cornerstone, 1906, 1961
1 3 Guide to sources, undated
1 4 Staff list, 1904
1 5 First session, 1898-1899
1 6 Second session, 1899-1900
Administrative Records
1 7 Alumni bulletin, 1913
1 8 Annual announcements, 1899-1900
1 9 Annual announcements, 1901-1902
1 10 Annual announcements, 1903-1904
1 11 Annual announcements, 1898-1899, 1902-1908
1 12 Annual reports, 1907-1913 (originals)
1 13 Annual reports, 1907-1913 (photocopies)
1 14 Application for admission, 1912
1 15 Atlanta College of Pharmacy bulletin, 1909-1910
3 1 Board of trustees minutes, 1899-1900
3 2 Board of trustees minutes, 1901-1908
BV 3 Board of trustees minutes, 1901-1913
1 16 Bond, 1908
1 17 Budget, 1910-1913
1 18 Building committee, 1906-1913
5 1 Catalogue, 1908-1909
5 2 Catalogue, 1909-1910
5 3 Catalogue, 1910-1911
5 4 Catalogue, 1911-1912
5 5 Catalogue, 1912-1913
2 1 Commencement invitations, 1900, 1906-1908
2 2 Commencement invitations, 1909
2 3 Commencement invitations, 1911
2 4 Commencement invitations, 1912
2 5 Commencement invitations, 1913
2 6 Commencement programs, 1909, 1911-1913
2 7 Deeds of trust, 1900-1915
2 8 Faculty resolutions, 1908
2 14 Faculty minutes, 1906-1913
BV12 Final record of exams, 1898-1905
3 3 Grade book, 1905-191[-]
2 9 Laboratory bulletin, 1910
2 10 Lecture schedules, 1904-1913
2 11 Library committee report, 1913
2 12 Petition to amend charter, 1898
BV10 Registration book, 1901 January
BV 8 Registration book, 1901 October-December
2 13 Student petition, undated
Financial Records
BV 7 Account book, 1903-1906
BV 2 Account book, 1909-1915 [Changes to Atlanta Medical College in September, 1913. Ends with Emory’s absorption of Atlanta Medical College in June of 1915.]
BV 1 Account book, 1909-1915 [Changes to Atlanta Medical College in September, 1913. Ends with Emory’s absorption of Atlanta Medical College in June of 1915.]
BV11 Cash book, 1898-1902
BV 4 Cash book, 1903-1904
BV 5 Cash book, 1903-1906
BV 9 Ledger, 1908
BV 6 Student roster and tuition payments
Memorabilia: Cornerstone Items
4 1 Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons catalog, 1905
4 2 Atlanta Journal-Record of Medicine [Restricted], 1906 March
4 3 Class schedules and matriculation cards [Restricted], circa 1900
4 4 Coins (4), 1846, 1854, 1893
4 5 List of graduating class, 1905-1906
4 6 Newspaper: Atlanta Evening News, 1906 April 6
4 7 Newspaper: The Atlanta Constitution, 1906 April 7
4 8 Newspaper: The Atlanta Journal, 1906 April 6
4 9 Photograph of A. W. Calhoun [Restricted], circa 1905
6 Wooden matches, undated
7 Paperweight of Bowden Lithia Water, undated
8 Whistle and other objects, undated
v1.11.0-dev