WESLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (ATLANTA, GA).
Wesley Memorial Hospital records, 1905-1946, undated

Emory University

Health Sciences Archives

Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library

1462 Clifton Road, NE

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-8727

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/f84vv


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Wesley Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga).
Title: Wesley Memorial Hospital records, 1905-1946, undated
Call Number:Series No. 006
Extent: 3.50 linear ft. (3 boxes + 1 oversize + 5 bound volumes)
Abstract:Consists of administrative records and correspondence, photographs, publications related to the hospital, newspaper clippings and other memorabilia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Emory University Hospital Records, HS-S014; Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing Records, HS-S017.

Source

Unknown.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Wesley Memorial Hospital Records, Health Sciences Archives, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2005.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Wesley Memorial Hospital was established by the North and South Georgia Conferences of the Methodist Church in February of 1904. It was first housed in the "Calico House" – so named because the swirled effect of the painted exterior resembled a pattern of calico fabric that was popular at the time. The former private residence, which stood on the southwest corner of the intersection of Courtland St. and Auburn Avenue, had served as headquarters of General Wm. T. Sherman during the Federal occupation of Atlanta in 1864. After extensive renovations, it was formally opened on August 16, 1905. The hospital also accommodated a nurses’ training school, the forerunner of today’s Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing at Emory University.

In 1922 a new facility was built on the campus of Emory University. The hospital was not formally associated the Emory School of Medicine until 1925. In 1932 the name was changed to Emory University Hospital.

Scope and Content Note

The Wesley Memorial Hospital records consist of a small number of administrative records and correspondence; memorabilia and other documentation of two volunteer organizations related to the hospital; scattered publications related to the Hospital; one photograph; newspaper clippings and other memorabilia.

Administrative records primarily document the construction of the hospital on the Emory University campus in the early 1920s. Also included are annual reports from 1905 and 1906 when the institution was first established and staff meeting minutes for 1911-1930. Correspondence concerns the solicitation of funds for the painting of a life-size portrait of Asa Candler that would hang in the main entry of the new hospital building and other matters pertaining to the construction of the building.

Organizational records document the work of the Wesley Memorial Hospital Training School Alumni Association; the Woman’s Auxiliary, formed to support the volunteer work done for the hospital; and the Baby Alumni Association, an outgrowth of the work of the Woman’s Auxiliary. The Baby Alumni Association scrapbook (Box 2) provides an interesting presentation of the history of the group and the Lucy Elizabeth Pavilion, the obstetrical wing of the hospital.

The small collection of publications, clippings and memorabilia provide information about the history of the hospital and the changes in regulations for staff and patients between 1905 and 1929.

Arrangement Note

Arranged by type of material.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Administrative Records
Box Folder Content
1 1 Annual report, 1905, 1906, 1915
1 2 Annual report, 1920-1923
1 3 Bank notes, 1915-1926
1 4 Bonds, 1924-1931
1 5 Building committee minutes, 1920
1 6 Construction expense reports, 1923
1 7 Ella Groom Memorial Room, 1910
1 8 Florence E. Harris Memorial Room, undated
1 9 Staff, 1922-1923, undated
1 10 Staff minutes, 1911-1930
1 11 Student application, undated
Correspondence
1 12 General, 1922-1923
1 13 Asa Candler portrait, 1922-1923
Organizations
2 1 Baby Alumni Association certificate of birth, undated
2 2 Baby Alumni Association guest book, 1944-1946
2 Baby Alumni Association scrapbook
3 1 Golden Cross, 1924, undated
3 2 Wesley Memorial Enterprises, 1909-1910
BV 1 Wesley Memorial Hospital Alumnae Association minutes, 1925-1936
2 4 Wesley Memorial Hospital Training School Alumni Association, 1929, undated
2 5 Woman’s Auxiliary: Annual report, 1929
2 6 Woman’s Auxiliary: Constitution and by-laws, 1911-1922
2 7 Woman’s Auxiliary: Correspondence, 1922-1930
BV 2 Woman’s Auxiliary: Ledger book, 1916-1926
BV 3 Woman’s Auxiliary: Ledger book, 1923-1925
2 8 Woman’s Auxiliary: Programs, 1929-1934
BV 4 Woman’s Auxiliary: Florence Candler Harris clippings, circa 1918-1925
BV 5 Woman’s Auxiliary: items collected by Florence Candler Harris, circa 1916-1922
Publications
2 9 "A Brief sketch of the development of hospitals...," 1922
2 10 "The Calico House" excerpt from The Atlanta Historical Bulletin, no. 3, 1930 May
2 11 The Emory Medical Review, Vol. 2, No. 1, [1923?]
2 12 The Message, 1928-1929
2 13 The Pulse, 1929-1932
2 14 "The Wesley Memorial Hospital: its history, object, officers and regulations," 1905
2 15 "Wesley Memorial Enterprises: institutional work in a modern city," undated
2 16 "Procedures and conventions: Wesley Memorial Hospital," undated
Photographs
2 17 "Calico House" (original hospital building), circa 1905
OP1 1 Exterior and interior photographs, 1905-1906
OP1 2 Hospital staff and patients (1 of 2), 1905-1906
OP1 3 Hospital staff and patients (2 of 2), 1905-1906
Clippings
2 18 1921-1925
3 4 1905, 1931
Memorabilia
2 19 1922-1929, undated
v1.11.0-dev