EMORY UNIVERSITY. SCHOOL OF MEDICINE.
Emory University School of Medicine records, 1916-2017

Emory University

Health Sciences Archives

Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library

1462 Clifton Road, NE

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-8727

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/fhc7k


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. School of Medicine.
Title: Emory University School of Medicine records, 1916-2017
Call Number:Series No. 013
Extent: 24.90 linear ft. (41 boxes + 4 bound volumes + 6 oversize papers)
Abstract:Contains administrative files, material from the centennial celebration in 1954, correspondence, photographs, clippings, class bulletins, and memorabilia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in Other Repositories

J. Willis Hurst Papers, Emory University Archives, Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Related Materials in This Repository

Atlanta Medical College records, HS-S001; Southern Medical College records, HS-S002; Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons records, HS-S003; Atlanta School of Medicine records, HS-S004; J. Willis Hurst papers, HS-MSS002; Daniel C. Elkin papers, HS-MSS003.

Source

Transfer.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory University School of Medicine Records, Health Sciences Archives, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2007.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Before it was established as the Emory School of Medicine in 1915, the school first began as the Atlanta Medical College. Founded in 1854 by a group of physicians led by Dr. John G. Westmoreland, the college began during unfavorable financial conditions along with competition of three other medical schools opening in the state, driving up competition for students. Despite these challenges, the Atlanta Medical College continued operation until August of 1861 when classes were suspended due to the Civil War. Several years later, the College merged with the Southern Medical College, leading to the creation of the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1898. The College existed for 14 years before another merger took place, this time due to encouragement from the Council of Medical Education. The Council promised that if the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons merged with the Atlanta School of Medicine, they would receive a Class A rating. After the merger, the American Medical Association began pressuring medical schools to align with universities in order to improve the quality of medical education nationwide. Just two years after the formation of the second version of the Atlanta Medical College, the College combined with Emory University, which was in its initial stages of development and sought to add medical education to its offerings. On June 28, 1915 the Emory School of Medicine was established.

Shortly after the entry of the United States into World War I in 1917, the Emory Unit was organized by Lt. Col. Edward C. Davis who was previously a faculty member of the Atlanta School of Medicine. Comprised of medical school faculty and alumni, the Unit was activated in the summer of 1918 in Blois, France. In the six months of its operation, the Emory Unit treated over nine thousand patients with a mortality rate of 1 percent. The School of Medicine also furnished an Emory Unit for World War II. Organized by Ira A. Ferguson, the Emory Unit was stationed in Oran, Algeria before moving to Aix-en-Provence, France in September 1944. Many of the officers saw action due to assignments that took them away from their base, seeing the invasion of troops in both Italy and Southern France. Inactivation came on September 13, 1945, eleven days after the end of the war.

After advancements were made in the construction of facilities and the strengthening of educational programs, the Emory Clinic was established in 1952 with the purpose of augmenting its teaching staff while keeping within the confines of a fixed budget. Members of the Clinic dedicated 25 percent of their time to clinical teaching and research while providing self-support through private practice. Members of the Emory Clinic included Bruce Logue who established the first cardiology fellowship program at Emory and was the founding president of the Georgia Heart Association, and J. Willis Hurst, cardiologist to President Lyndon B. Johnson and author of numerous publications on the topic of cardiology.

Today the Emory School of Medicine is part of the Robert W. Woodruff Health Sciences Center, which encompasses the parts of Emory University concerned with patient care, education of health professionals, research affecting health and illness, and policies for prevention and treatment of diseases. The Center's namesake left a lasting imprint on Emory and the city of Atlanta; his first gift to Emory benefited the School of Medicine in 1937 when he donated $50,000 for the Robert Winship Clinic for Neoplastic Diseases, now known as the Winship Cancer Institute. To date, the Winship Cancer Institute sees over 12,000 patients a year, and is the only National Cancer Institute-Designated Cancer Center in the state of Georgia.

Over the years, the Emory School of Medicine has sought partners both in and outside of Emory to help strengthen its efforts in medical education, research, and patient care. These partners include Grady Memorial Hospital, the Atlanta Affairs Medical Center, and the Egleston Scottish Rite Children's Healthcare System. Today Emory's teaching hospitals comprise roughly 3,000 patient beds and 1.9 million patients annually.

Biographical Source: Emory University, 1915-1965: A Semicentennial History by Thomas A. English.

Scope and Content Note

The Emory School of Medicine Records contain administrative files related to the operation of the School, including annual reports of various departments, faculty council minutes, Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accreditation files, files from the Office of the Dean, and publications including bulletins and clinical papers. Other files include correspondence and photographs from the Centennial Celebration in 1954, commencement articles and diploma ceremony programs, clippings highlighting events from the School of Medicine as well as research projects and related centers and departments, memorabilia including class roll books and a register of lectures (1916-1919), along with other material.

Arrangement Note

Organized into 5 series: 1) Administrative Files, 2) Faculty Records, 3) Centennial Celebration, 4) Publications and Printed Material, and 5) Subject Files.


Selected Search Terms

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev