EMORY UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL.
Emory University Hospital records, 1930-1993

Emory University

Health Sciences Archives

Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library

1462 Clifton Road, NE

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-8727

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/f8vpb


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University Hospital.
Title: Emory University Hospital records, 1930-1993
Call Number:Series No. 014
Extent: 1.25 linear ft. (3 boxes + 1 bound volume)
Abstract:Contains staff by-laws, patient information leaflets, memoranda pertaining to the 1969 hospital expansion project, and hospital and clinic staff meeting minutes.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Wesley Memorial Hospital Records, HS-S006; Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing Records, HS-S017.

Source

Unknown.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory University Hospital Records, Health Sciences Archives, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2005.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Emory University Hospital, formerly Wesley Memorial Hospital, was formally established in 1932, approximately ten years following the construction of the facility on the Emory University campus. The hospital served as an open-staffed community hospital and could accommodate 150 patients. The original building consisted of two wings plus a separate structure, the Lucy Elizabeth Pavilion, which housed the obstetric facility and an auditorium. Asa G. Candler donated the land and funds to construct the main building. The Lucy Elizabeth Pavilion was financed by his children as a memorial to their mother.

By 1996, Emory University Hospital had grown to accommodate approximately 600 patients. In the same year, the staff, once comprised of 4 rotating interns, consisted of over 200 residents and 30 full-time physicians. The facility is closely associated with the Emory University School of Medicine, the Emory Clinic, Emory Midtown Hospital (formerly Crawford W. Long Hospital), and several other hospitals in the Atlanta area.

Scope and Content Note

This small collection of Emory University Hospital records contains a copy of the 1976 staff by-laws; patient information leaflets; memoranda pertaining to the 1969 hospital expansion project; hospital and clinic staff meeting minutes, primarily from the 1930s; Nursing Services logs; records of the Women’s Auxiliary; photographs and collected materials relating to the Whitehead Surgical Pavilion, and assorted clippings.

Arrangement Note

Arranged alphabetically by type of material.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Bylaws-Medical, dental and scientific staff, 1976
1 2 Chaplain’s office-Liturgy and Commentary, undated
1 3 James Shannon Warwick Memorial Chapel, 1957
BV 1 Lucy Elizabeth Pavilion committee scrapbook, 1937
1 4 Memorandum-Hospital expansion, 1969
1 5 Minutes-Hospital staff, 1931-1936
1 6 Minutes-Hospital staff, 1936-1940
1 7 Minutes-Professional Services committee, 1962
1 8 Newsometer (newsletter), 1941
3 1 Nursing Services log, 1944
3 2 Nursing Services log, 1945
3 3 Nursing Services log, 1946
1 9 Patient information-ongoing, circa 1940
1 10 Robert Winship Memorial Clinic, 1938
1 11 Whitehead Memorial Surgical Pavilion-Collected materials, [1936]
1 12 Whitehead Memorial Surgical Pavilion-Photographs, [1936]
1 13 Women’s auxiliary-Records, 1937-1947
2 1 Clippings, 1936-1939
2 2 Clippings, 1970-1979
2 3 Clippings, 1980-1993
2 4 Clippings, undated
v1.11.0-dev