ROBERT W. WOODRUFF HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER. LIBRARY.
Health Sciences Center Library Publications collection, 1800-2018

Emory University

Health Sciences Archives

Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library

1462 Clifton Road, NE

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-8727

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/r8m74


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Robert W. Woodruff Health Sciences Center. Library.
Title: Health Sciences Center Library Publications collection, 1800-2018
Call Number:Series No. 027
Extent: 7.80 linear ft. (18 boxes + 1 oversize)
Abstract:Contains collected publications from Emory University related to medicine, publications from Grady Memorial Hospital and other local medical institutions and societies, and medical journals from the 19th century.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Atlanta Medical College Records, HS-S001, Emory School of Medicine Records, HS-S013, Emory University Hospital Records, HS-S014.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Health Sciences Center Library Publications Collection, Health Sciences Archives, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Clayton McGahee, 2015.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

The Health Sciences Center Library Publications Collection was collected over time by the staff of the Emory Health Sciences Library and through various donations.

Scope and Content Note

Series 1 of the Health Sciences Center Library Publications Collection consists of publications from several medical departments of Emory University. The Emory School of Medicine, Emory Clinic, Rollins School of Public Health, and Emory School of Dentistry represent a portion of the newsletters, magazines, and journals. Also included are issues of "The Clinic," published by the Atlanta Medical College from 1890-1891. Years later in 1915, after a series of mergers with other Atlanta-area medical colleges, the Atlanta Medical College became the Emory School of Medicine.

Series 2 consists of annual reports from Grady Memorial Hospital along with a monthly publication titled "Together," which was a combined publication from Grady and Hughes Spalding Pavilion or Community Hospital; it is now known as the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Hughes Spalding. In addition are various publications from Georgia medical centers and societies, as well as medical journals dating back to 1800. Selected publications include annual reports from the Georgia State Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Alto, Georgia, and "The Medicine Dropper," newsletter from the Henrietta Egleston Children's Hospital. Selected journals include "The Dixie Doctor," a collection of medical articles intended to assist in typical cases seen by physicians in the late 1800s, and "The Water-Cure Journal," edited by Joel Shew from 1845-1846. This journal was devoted "to the popular explanation of hydropathy, or water-cure, including bathing in its various forms, attention to diet, drinks, air, exercise, cleanliness, and clothing, as affecting bodily and mental health."

Arrangement Note

Organized into 2 series: (1) Emory Publications and (2) Grady Memorial Hospital and Other Publications.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev