EMORY UNIVERSITY. SCHOOL OF LAW.
Emory Law School Historical Information collection, 1942-2009

Emory University

Emory Law Archives

Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library

1301 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-0059

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bn190


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. School of Law.
Title: Emory Law School Historical Information collection, 1942-2009
Call Number:L-001
Extent: 0.40 linear ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Artificial collection containing several types of information relating to the history of the Emory Law School.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

L-032 – Emory Law School memorabilia collection

Source

Transfer.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory Law School Historical Information Collection, Emory Law Archives, Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed Nancy Hall Watkins, 2009.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Emory University School of Law was established in 1916. The Emory Board of Trustees named the new enterprise L.Q.C. Lamar School of Law. Lamar had graduated from Emory College in 1845 and had a distinguished career as a statesman, scholar and lawyer. The law and theology schools were the first academic buildings completed on the Emory Quadrangle. In 1919, the law school hired its first dean, Samuel C. Williams. By 1923, the American Bar Association classified Emory as a "Class A" school.

In 1972, the present day Gambrell Hall was constructed and named in honor of E. Smythe Gambrell's parents. E. Smythe Gambrell, joined the adjunct faculty in 1924 and served on the faculty until the eve of World War II. The Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, adjacent to Gambrell Hall, opened its doors in 1995.

Scope and Content Note

This artificial collection contains several types of information related to the history of the Emory Law School. It includes, but is not limited to, articles about the school from various publications, biographical information on prominent faculty members, lists of prominent alumni and scholarship recipients and the renaming of the school in 1996.

Arrangement Note

Arranged in alphabetical order.



Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Biographical files, 1957-2007-E. Smythe Gambrell speeches
1 2 Biographical files, 1983-Eleonore Raoul Greene obituary
1 3 Biographical files, 2008-Harold J. Berman memorial celebration
1 4 Biographical files, 1992-W. Tarver Rountree retirement
1 5 Biographical files, 1973-William Harrison Agnor, Thomas Jefferson award
1 6 Biography of Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, no date
1 7 Budget proposals, 1949-1958
1 8 "Celebrating the history of Emory Law School," 2008
1 9 Emory class of 1934 fiftieth anniversary, 1984
1 10 "Georgia's historic law schools," 1990 - Article by Marc Miller from Georgia State Bar Journal, November 1990
1 11 Hurricane Katrina response summary, 2009
1 12 "Incomplete history of Emory Law School," by Nat Gozansky, 2009
1 13 "Lamar to the court: last step to national reunion," 1986-Article by Daniel J. Meador
1 14 Law School faculty list, 1916-1985
1 15 Law School editorial board charter, no date
1 16 List of Emory judges and justices, 1976
1 16 List of selected biographies, undated
1 17 Named scholarship recipients, 1997-2002
1 18 Naming of school, 1996
1 19 Notice from the Dean introducing night classes, 1942
1 20 "Reflections," by Wallace W. Ramsey, member of the first graduating class of the Emory School of Law, 1978
1 21 Student organizations list, 1999-2000
v1.11.0-dev