EMORY UNIVERSITY. SCHOOL OF LAW.
Emory Law School faculty digest and faculty handbook records, 1963-2010

Emory University

Emory Law Archives

Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library

1301 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-0059

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bn1jz


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. School of Law.
Title: Emory Law School faculty digest and faculty handbook records, 1963-2010
Call Number:L-008
Extent: 1.5 linear ft. (3 boxes)
Abstract:Faculty digest/handbooks containing information about degree programs, special programs, policies and procedures related to students and employees, publications, activities, planning and administration
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

L-002 – Emory Law School policies and procedures; L-010 – Emory Law School Faculty minutes.

Source

Transfer.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory Law School faculty digest and faculty handbook records, Emory Law Archives, Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed Nancy Hall Watkins, 2007.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Emory University School of Law was established in 1916. The Emory Board of Trustees named the new enterprise L.Q.C. Lamar School of Law. Lamar had graduated from Emory College in 1845 and had a distinguished career as a statesman, scholar and lawyer. The law and theology schools were the first academic buildings completed on the Emory Quadrangle. In 1919, the law school hired its first dean, Samuel C. Williams. By 1923, the American Bar Association classified Emory as a "Class A" school.

In 1972, the present day Gambrell Hall was constructed and named in honor of E. Smythe Gambrell's parents. E. Smythe Gambrell, joined the adjunct faculty in 1924 and served on the faculty until the eve of World War II. The Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, adjacent to Gambrell Hall, opened its doors in 1995.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains Faculty Digests from the years 1963 through 1983 and Faculty Handbooks from 1984 through 2010. The Faculty Digest, issued from 1963 through 1983, was a handbook containing information about degree programs, special programs, policies and procedures related to students and employees, publications, activities, planning and administration. In 1984 the title was changed to Faculty Handbook.

Arrangement Note

Arranged in chronological order by publication date.



Container List

Faculty digest, 1963-1967
Box Folder Content
1 1 Table of contents and draft, 1963-1967
1 2 Law school programs and facilities, 1963-1967
1 3 Admission and retention in school, 1963-1967
1 4 Scholarships and other compensation to students, 1963-1967
1 5 Graduation requirements, 1963-1967
1 6 Curriculum, 1963-1967
1 7 Student discipline, 1963-1967
1 8 Publications and activities, 1963-1967
1 9 Administration of courses and exams, 1963-1967
1 10 Planning and administrative details, 1963-1967
Faculty digest, 1976
1 11 Table of contents, 1976
1 12 Degree programs, 1976
1 13 Special programs, 1976
1 14 Admission and retention, 1976
1 15 Scholarships and other compensation
1 16 Graduation requirements, 1976
1 17 Curriculum, 1976
1 18 Student discipline, 1976
1 19 Publications and activities, 1976
1 20 Faculty; administration of courses and exams, 1976
1 21 Planning and administrative details, 1976
1 22 Planning and administrative details, copy 2, 1976
Faculty digest, 1979-1983
2 1 Requirements for the MBA-JD program, 1979
2 2 General updates, 1980
2 3 General updates, 1981
2 4 General updates, 1982
2 5 Planning and administrative details, update, 1983
Faculty handbook
2 6 Faculty handbook, 1984
2 7 Faculty handbook, 1985
2 8 Faculty handbook, 1986
2 9 Faculty handbook, 1989
2 10 Faculty handbook, 1994
2 11 Faculty handbook, 1997
3 1 Faculty handbook, 2002
3 2 Faculty handbook, 2007
3 3 Faculty handbook, 2010
v1.11.0-dev