EMORY UNIVERSITY. SCHOOL OF LAW.
Emory Law School Memorabilia collection, 1916-2001, undated

Emory University

Emory Law Archives

Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library

1301 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-0059

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bn238


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. School of Law.
Title: Emory Law School Memorabilia collection, 1916-2001, undated
Call Number:L-032
Extent: 0.5 linear ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Memorabilia relating to the Emory University Law School.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Transfer.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory Law School memorabilia, Emory Law Archives, Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed Nancy Hall Watkins, 2006.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Emory University School of Law was established in 1916. The Emory Board of Trustees named the new enterprise L.Q.C. Lamar School of Law. Lamar had graduated from Emory College in 1845 and had a distinguished career as a statesman, scholar and lawyer. The law and theology schools were the first academic buildings completed on the Emory Quadrangle. In 1919, the law school hired its first dean, Samuel C. Williams. By 1923, the American Bar Association classified Emory as a "Class A" school.

In 1972, the present day Gambrell Hall was constructed and named in honor of E. Smythe Gambrell's parents. E. Smythe Gambrell, joined the adjunct faculty in 1924 and served on the faculty until the eve of World War II. The Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, adjacent to Gambrell Hall, opened its doors in 1995.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains memorabilia relating to the Emory University Law School.



Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Holiday party program, 2001
1 1 Items removed from scrapbook, 1920s
1 2 Items removed from scrapbook, 1930s
1 3 Items removed from scrapbook, 1940s
1 4 Items removed from scrapbook, 1950s
1 5 Items removed from scrapbook, 1960s
1 6 Photograph, no date-Peter Hay, Acting Dean of Law School
1 7 Photographs removed from scrapbook, no date
1 8 Photograph, no date- "In Recognition of Fifty Years Service in the Legal Profession"
1 9 Program for opening of Lamar School of Law, [1916]
v1.11.0-dev