EMORY UNIVERSITY. SCHOOL OF LAW
Development and Alumni Relations, 1926-2017

Emory University

Emory Law Archives

Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library

1301 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-0059

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/svkr9


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. School of Law
Title: Development and Alumni Relations, 1926-2017
Call Number:L-049
Extent: 10.5 linear ft. (21 boxes)
Abstract:Records of the Emory law school from the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. Includes annual class files and materials from Emory law frundraising, academic programs and classes, students organizations, and Emory law publications.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Special retrictions apply: Selected material restricted in accordance with Emory Law Archives access policy for Law School records.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Office of Alumni Relations records, 1981-2011, L-017

Source

Transfer, Office of Development and Alumni Relations.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Development and Alumni Relations records, Emory Law Archives, Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Emily Corbin, 2018.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Emory University School of Law was established in 1916. The Emory Board of Trustees named the new enterprise L.Q.C. Lamar School of Law. Lamar had graduated from Emory College in 1845 and had a distinguished career as a statesman, scholar and lawyer. The law and theology schools were the first academic buildings completed on the Emory Quadrangle. In 1919, the law school hired its first dean, Samuel C. Williams. By 1923, the American Bar Association classified Emory as a "Class A" school.

In 1972, the present day Gambrell Hall was constructed and named in honor of E. Smythe Gambrell's parents. E. Smythe Gambrell, joined the adjunct faculty in 1924 and served on the faculty until the eve of World War II. The Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library, adjacent to Gambrell Hall, opened its doors in 1995.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains records of the Development and Alumni Relations office which works to maintain relationships between Emory Law School graduates and the School of Law. The records include annual class files (1926-2017), fundraising materials sent out by the law school (1980-2005), class files for Law and Religon (1990-1994), law student organization materials (1994-2015), financial information from the law school (1988-2007), law lecture files (1971-2017), and various law school publications (1987-2017).

Arrangement Note

Organized into 08 series: (1) Annual class files, (2) Emory law fundraising, (3) Emory law programs, (4) Emory law administration, (5) Student organizations, (6)Emory law financials (7) Emory law academics, (8) Emory law publications.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms

Occupation


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev