OXFORD COLLEGE OF EMORY UNIVERSITY.
Oxford College Photograph collection, 1906-2015, undated

Emory University

Oxford College Archives

Oxford College Library

134 Few Circle

Oxford, GA 30054

770-784-8380

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/s5zps


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Oxford College of Emory University.
Title: Oxford College Photograph collection, 1906-2015, undated
Call Number:Series No. 025
Extent: 10.80 linear ft. (27 boxes)
Abstract:Contains photographs from Oxford College of Emory University, inclusive of buildings, people and organizations, campus locations and events, and clubs.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in Other Repositories

Emory University photograph collection, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Related Materials in This Repository

Oxford College Biographical files, OX-S018; Oxford College Memorabilia collection, OX-S014; Oxford College Events records, OX-S012.

Source

Unknown.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Oxford College Photograph collection, Oxford College Archives, Oxford College Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Jennifer Sirotkin, Sasha Snyder, and Clayton McGahee, 2014-2017.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Emory College was chartered to the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1836, and the original campus was erected in Oxford, Georgia. The College was rechartered as Emory University and relocated to Atlanta, Ga., in 1914. In 1915, Emory University Academy was established as a four year academy in response to "the need, previously apparent in the South, of a thoroughly equipped Academy, in which boys may be prepared for College or University, in full conformity with the present standard requirements." Later in 1929, Emory Junior College was established, which marked a return to a college-level program of study. In 1947, Emory at Oxford sought and received accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools as Georgia's first four-year junior college. The campus was known as Emory at Oxford until 1963 when it became known as Oxford College of Emory University.

Biographical Source: Moon, Joseph C. An Uncommon Place, Oxford College of Emory University, 1914-2000.

Scope and Content Note

The Oxford College Photograph collection consists of photographs from buildings including residence halls and historical buildings, clubs and societies, events including graduation ceremonies, homecoming, "Oxford Day" events, and campus parties, and locations including campus scenes and historical markers. Most of the collection consists of photos of individuals including faculty, staff, and students; these photographs represent campus and student life from the early 20th century to current day.

Arrangement Note

Organized into 5 series: (1) Buildings, (2) Clubs and Societies, (3) Events, (4) Locations, and (5) People and Organizations.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev