SISTERHOOD OF ST. JOHN BAPTIST, CLEWER.
Sisterhood of St. John Baptist Clewer Rules of the Sisterhood, 1855

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/f807z


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Sisterhood of St. John Baptist, Clewer.
Title: Sisterhood of St. John Baptist Clewer Rules of the Sisterhood, 1855
Call Number:Manuscript Collection No. 040
Extent: 0.01 cubic ft. (1 item)
Abstract:Contains one handwritten, illuminated manuscript, prescribes the duties and manner in which the Sisters were to conduct their spiritual and daily lives.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Carter, Thomas Thelluson. The First Five Years of the House of Mercy, Clewer. Second edition. London: Joseph Masters, 1856. [Special Collections, 1856, Cart]

The First Ten Years of the House of Mercy, Clewer. London: Joseph Masters, 1861. [Special Collections, 1861, Cart]

House of Mercy (Clewer, Berkshire). Report of the House of Mercy, Clewer, for the Year Ending March 31, 1890. Windsor: Thomas Luff, 1890. [Special Collections, 1890, Hous]

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Sisterhood of St. John Baptist Clewer Rules of the Sisterhood, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Cynthia Crouch, April 1986.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

The House of Mercy in Clewer was founded on June 19, 1849, by Mrs. Tennant, the widow of a clergyman of the Church of England. Converting her home into a "Penitentiary," Mrs. Tennant was joined in her work, in the "moral and spiritual restoration of fallen women," by other ladies of the Church of England.

These ladies formed a religious community, known as a Sisterhood, devoted to working among the "Penitents." Although their primary concern was for the work among the young women, the Sisters expanded their work to the care of the sick, infirm, and orphans by the mid-1850s. Their orphanage became known as St. John's Home.

Scope and Content Note

The Rules of the Sisterhood of St. John Baptist, Clewer, a handwritten, illuminated manuscript, prescribes the duties and manner in which the Sisters were to conduct their spiritual and daily lives. Thirty-six pages long, the rules governed many aspects of the Sisters' lives including their relationships to one another, to the inmates or penitents, and to the children; recreation; and the hours they were to keep. The rules also include the duties and requirements for acceptance into the community, of the inmates, the Sisters, and the Associates, those ladies who lived in their own homes, but, also worked in or gave aid to the House.



v1.11.0-dev