Requesting of offsite materials will be unavailable December 13-17.

Researchers visiting Rose Library during that time should make requests for offsite materials by 5pm on Wednesday, December 12.

For assistance, please contact us at or 404-727-6887.

S.M.C. (Sister Mary Catherine) Rebuilding the Walls, 1959

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322


Permanent link:

Descriptive Summary

Creator: S. M. C. (Sister Mary Catherine).
Title: S.M.C. (Sister Mary Catherine) Rebuilding the Walls, 1959
Call Number:Manuscript Collection No. 052
Extent: 0.2 cubic ft. (14 folders)
Abstract:Contains one typed manuscript entitled "Rebuilding the walls: the epic story of the Canonesses Regular of the Lateran at St. Monica's, Louvain now at St. Augustine's Priory, Newton-Abbot, Devon."
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.


[after identification of item(s)], S.M.C. (Sister Mary Catherine) Rebuilding the Walls, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.


Processed by Cynthia Crouch, July 1986.

Collection Description

Biographical Note

St. Monica's Priory is a community of Canonesses Regular of St. Augustine, now affiliated to the Lateran, dating back to the English monastery, St. Monica's which was founded in Louvain, Belgium in 1609. The congregation came to England in 1794. After living in various places, the nuns finally settled at the house of St. Augustine's Priory, Newton Abbot, South Devon. They are distinguished for their devotion of the Perpetual Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament, which was begun in 1859.

Biographical Source: The Directory of Religious Orders, Congregations, and Societies of Great Britain and Ireland, pages 194-195

Scope and Content Note

This typed manuscript provides a history of these Augustinian canonesses, from their founding to about 1959. It is 274 pages long and includes a preface by Dom John Stephan O.S.B., F.R.Hist.S. Author: Sister Mary Catherine, of the Dominican Convent of St. Catherine of Sienna, Torquay (secular name: Kathleen Agnes Cicely Anderson)

Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Preface, Index (Chapters)
1 2 Chapters 1-2
1 3 Chapters 3-5
1 4 Chapters 6-7
1 5 Chapters 8-9
1 6 Chapters 10-11
1 7 Chapters 12-13
1 8 Chapters 14-15
1 9 Chapters 16-17
1 10 Chapters 18-20
1 11 Chapters 21-23
1 12 Chapters 24-26
1 13 Chapters 27-29
1 14 Chapters 30-32