Nov 13-Feb 1, Rose Library will be by appointment only, requiring one week's notice. Please contact rose.library@emory.edu for assistance.

CHURCH OF ENGLAND. DIOCESE OF CHESTER. CONSISTORY COURT.
Church of England Diocese of Chester Consistory Court Commission to Renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill (Lancashire, England), 1809-1814

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/ghp6d


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Church of England. Diocese of Chester. Consistory Court.
Title: Church of England Diocese of Chester Consistory Court Commission to Renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill (Lancashire, England), 1809-1814
Call Number:Manuscript Collection No. 219
Extent: 0.4 cubic ft. (1 oversize folder)
Abstract:Consists of one commission issued by the court of the Bishop of Chester, Bowyer Edward Sparke granting authority to George Case and Thomas Leyland to renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Church of England Diocese of Chester Consistory Court Commission to Renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill (Lancashire, England), Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Anne Graham, 2002.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

The Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill is located in Walton Village near the city of Liverpool in Lancashire, England. The original parish included Liverpool, Bootle-cum-Linacre, Everton, Fazakerley, Formby, Kirkby, Kirkdale, Walton, and West Derby. The first church building is believed to have been constructed before the Norman conquest of England in 1066. It was rebuilt in 1326 with numerous renovations through the 19th century. In May 1941 the church was nearly destroyed by incendiary bombing. Rebuilding began in 1947 and used much of the original stone. The new church was consecrated on September 5, 1953 by the Lord Bishop of Liverpool.

Scope and Content Note

The commission was issued by the court of the Bishop of Chester, Bowyer Edward Sparke, and grants authority to George Case and Thomas Leyland to renovate the Parish Church of Walton-on-the-Hill. The document includes plans of the chancel and gallery as well as pew assignments. It is originally dated September 1, 1809 with addendums in 1812 and 1814.



v1.11.0-dev