Nov 13-Feb 1, Rose Library will be by appointment only, requiring one week's notice. Please contact rose.library@emory.edu for assistance.

BOARDMAN, W. ARMISTEAD, 1922-.
W. Armistead Boardman papers, 1945-1995

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/gs75g


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Boardman, W. Armistead, 1922-.
Title: W. Armistead Boardman papers, 1945-1995
Call Number:Manuscript Collection No. 304
Extent: 0.01 cubic ft. (1 folder)
Abstract:Consists of correspondence, reports, and articles relating to Boardman’s founding of and participation in the pastoral care program at Grady Hospital.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], W. Armistead Boardman Papers, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Aimee Morgan, 2005.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

William Armistead Boardman was born on February 16th, 1922, to Percy Douglas Boardman and Amelia Brown Boardman of Winston-Salem, NC. He grew up in Griffin, GA, where he was confirmed and ordained deacon in St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. He was educated at Sewanee, St. Luke’s Seminary in Sewanee, and Union Theological Seminary. Boardman received a Master of Divinity from Union in 1943. He received an M.S. from George Washington University in 1966.

In 1945, Boardman became the Assistant Rector of St. Luke’s in Atlanta. While there, he married Ann Lowry Webster. The couple have a son and a daughter.

Boardman, who completed the Hospital Clinical Training course at Bellevue General Hospital while a seminary student, founded the Chaplaincy Service at Grady Hospital in Atlanta in 1945. He also founded the Pastoral Clinical Training program at Candler School of Theology.

From 1947-1951, Boardman served as the Rector of St. Luke’s in Cleveland, TN. From there he went on to become a USAF chaplain, spending ten years overseas in Japan, Spain, and Vietnam. Boardman retired from the Air Force in September 1975.

Boardman founded St. Matthias Episcopal Church in Monument, CO, in 1973. He served as vicar there for ten years, retiring in June 1984.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of correspondence, reports, and articles relating to Boardman’s founding of and participation in the pastoral care program at Grady Hospital in Atlanta, GA, from 1945-1950. The majority of items are photocopies.



Container List

Box Folder Content
1 Letter, Frank Wilson to Carrie M. Logan (photocopy), 1945
1 Letter, H.B. Trimble to Boardman (photocopy), 1945
1 Report of Committee on Hospital Study (photocopy), 1945
1 Letter, Frank Wilson to Boardman (photocopy), 1946
1 News Articles (photocopies), 1946
1 Letter, Frederick C. Kuether to Boardman (photocopy), 1950
1 Letter, Boardman to president of Grady Hospital (photocopy), 1995
1 Letter, Boardman to Dean R. Kevin LaGree, Candler School of Theology, 1995
v1.11.0-dev