POWELL, DAVID THOMAS, 1773-1848.
David Thomas Powell papers, 1838, undated

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/rfrpp


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Powell, David Thomas, 1773-1848.
Title: David Thomas Powell papers, 1838, undated
Call Number:Manuscript Collection No. 368
Extent: 0.25 cubic ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Contains heraldry, sketches, and historical information about the Cottingham Church (East Riding of Yorkshire), Leiston Abbey (Suffolk), and Landguard Fort (Suffolk).
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], David Thomas Powell Papers, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Brandon Wason with Paul DeGeorge, August 2015.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

David Thomas Powell, born in 1773, was the son of Thomas Powell, esquire, of the Chestnuts, Tottenham (north London). Powell was a Lieutenant in the 14th Light Dragoons and composed a report of the Flanders Campaign in 1794. He later went to Oxford and received the Bachelor of Civil Law degree in 1805. Powell devoted much of his attention to the study and collecting of heraldry. He developed a substantial collection of materials related to heraldry and histories of churches in Great Britain, and often sketched or painted images related to his research interests. Upon his death in 1848 his collection was dispersed and sold in pieces. Portions of Powell's collection are housed in a number of institutions in Great Britain including Oxford University and the British Library.

Bibliography: Urban, Sylvanus. "Rev. D. T. Powell, B.C.L." The Gentleman's Magazine 30 (October, 1848): 438-39.

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains information on multiple locations throughout England, but primarily the Church in Cottingham and its surrounding area (East Riding of Yorkshire), the Leiston Abbey (Suffolk), and the Landguard Fort (Suffolk, formerly considered Essex). There is an ornate pencil sketching of the Cottingham church (circa 1840) drawn by Miss J. M. Smith along with a letter from Smith to Powell, 1838. There are also general notes regarding the Church of Cottingham, its description, location, and place within the larger region, with some faint pencil sketches. There are notes and color drawings of the heraldry of Cottingham and stone rubbings from the church. The collection also contains a separate bound volume (12 pages) on information related to the Leiston Abbey and the Landguard Fort, both in Suffolk, as well as details on other abbeys. The bound volume contains a number of sketches as well as a watercolor presentation of the Landguard Fort from the view of the Harwich coast. The collection will be of particular interest to researchers of English heraldry and church histories in Yorkshire and Suffolk.



Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 A pencil sketch of the Cottingham Church drawn by Miss J. M. Smith, circa 1840
1 2 Letter to Powell from Miss J. M. Smith of Cottingham, 1838 April
1 3 Notes on the town of Cottingham, and its church, 1838
1 4 Notes and drawings on the heraldry of Cottingham, undated
1 5 Stone rubbings from the Cottingham Church, undated
1 6 Bound manuscript and artwork on Leiston Abbey and Landguard Fort (Suffolk), undated
v1.11.0-dev