GLENN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.
Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church (Atlanta, GA) records, 1913-1995

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/rpbpx

Collection Stored Off-Site

All or portions of this collection are housed off-site. Materials can still be requested but researchers should expect a delay of up to two business days for retrieval.


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church.
Title: Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church (Atlanta, GA) records, 1913-1995
Call Number:Record Group No. 007
Extent: 33.6 cubic feet (53 boxes)
Abstract:This collection consists of the church records for Emory University Church and its successor, Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church, containing correspondence, minutes, financial records, bulletins, newsletters, photographs, and some audio media.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Pitts Theology Library in advance to access this collection.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in Other Repositories

A small collection of materials related to Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church are held by the Emory University Archives (Series 252).

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church records, RG 007, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Beth Carpenter, August 1991; Aimee Morgan with assistance from Craig Clark, March 2006; John Michael Blackmon, August 2017


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church began on Emory University's campus in 1920 as the Emory University Methodist Church. In 1931, the congregation moved from the chapel in the University's Candler School of Theology to a new building on the edge of campus named for Emory alumnus Reverend Wilbur Fisk Glenn. Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church added a Church School Building in 1940 and Youth Building in 1963.

Scope and Content Note

This collection is contains the records for Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church and its predecessor the Emory University Church. Archives. The Emory University Church was founded in January, 1920, and the archives date from February 1920 until the renaming of the church to Glenn Memorial in 1930.

Arrangement Note

This collection is divided into two subgroups; The Emory University Church Archives and Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church Archives.

The Emory University Church subgroup consists of two series: Minutes and Printed Material. Minutes consist of Quarterly Conference Minutes (1920-1930) and the Woman's Missionary Society Minutes (1925-29). Most of the early quarterly conference minutes (1920-1923) are photocopies, but the rest are original reports. The second series, Printed Material consists of a weekly bulletin dated February 2, 1930 and a bound volume of programs dated 1922-1926.

The Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church Archives consists of fourteen series:

Series I: Administrative Reports and Minutes, 1932-1995 Quarterly and charge conference records and administrative board minutes comprise the bulk of this series. Also included are minutes and other records of official commissions and councils within the church. This series is arranged with the Quarterly Conference reports first, then the Administrative Board minutes, and then commissions and councils in alphabetical order. The Administrative Board Minutes (1939-1991) consists of three different groups because of name changes over the years. First it was called the Board of Stewards (1930-1939), then the Official Board (1940-1969), and then the Administrative Board (1970-1991). The Commission on Education (1935-1976) also underwent a name change; it started out as the Board of Christian Education (1935-1952), and then became the Commission on Education (1953-1976). Also included in here are a complete set of attendance records for the Church School for the years 1963-1983.

Series II: Committees and Church Organizations, 1930-1991 In this series are materials from numerous committees and organizations within the church. Of particular note are the finance committee, the long-range planning committee, the Wesleyan Service Guild and the Women's Society of Christian Service, and the 75th Anniversary Committee. The amount of material available on each group varies considerably.

Series III: Correspondence, 1935-1994 This series is arranged into two different groups; General and United Methodist Women. Correspondence is arranged chronologically under each of these general headings.

Series IV: Financial Records, 1939-1993 Consists of audits, bank statements, insurance policies, receipts, stewards' lists, budgets, financial reports, and other records related to the financial affairs of the church.

Series V: Legal Records, 1942-1972 Consists of various groups' and The Methodist Church's legal documents.

Series VI: Membership Records, 1953-1989 Consists of forms and correspondence documenting membership transfers into and out of Glenn Memorial. There are also data sheets with information about church families collected from 1958-1962 and from 1974-1989.

Series VII: Youth Program, 1974-1992 Contains records related to youth programs at Glenn Memorial, including directories, programs, schedules, and promotional materials. This series includes files on youth service trips to Appalachia and the youth choir program, including choir tours and musical productions.

Series VIII: Subject Files, 1959-1991 Consists of files on several topics, including hunger, community agencies, public schools, and church programming.

Series IX: Literary Productions, 1913-1983, undated This series consists mostly of notes taken by James W. May's while writing The Glenn Memorial Story. This book, a history of Glenn Memorial, was written for the Bicentennial of American Methodism in 1985. A copy of the book is in Box 10, Folder 23. Also included in this series is a book by W.F. Glenn, A Sketch of the Ancestry and Lives of Rev. and Mrs. W.F. Glenn (1913), and miscellaneous sermons and speeches.

Series X: Printed Material, 1925-1990 Consists of books, bulletins, calendars, new clippings, directories, newsletters and other printed material. Most of the books are about other churches. The biggest part of this collection is made up of the bulletins: morning worship (1969-1970), weekly bulletins (1927-1990), and miscellaneous bulletins from Glenn, from Emory and from other places. The directories (1935-1982) are from various groups within the church, but the bulk of them are from the Administrative Board. Included within newsletters (1946-1991) are The Builder, Couples Class News, Glenn Newsletter, and the Spire, along with other titles.

Series XI: Maps, 1975, undated Consists of one file of maps.

Series XII: Scrapbooks, circa 1930-1950 Consists of one scrapbook that dates from approximately 1930-1950.

Series XIII: Photographs, undated Photographs in this series are divided into two groups: people and buildings. Many of the photographs do not have a date, but the photos that are dated usually have the date on the back. Also, most of the photographs are not identified. Others have general identification on the folder, but not on the individual item.

Series XIV: Audio Tapes, 1960-1982 This series includes two reel to reel tapes of the 40th Anniversary Celebration and three cassette tapes of a class, "Invitation to History Symposium" (1982). The majority of tapes are 90 minute audiocassettes of Couples Classes held from the late 1960s through the early 1980s.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev