RED OAK METHODIST CHURCH (WILLIAMSON, GA.).
Red Oak Methodist Church (Williamson, GA) records, 1823-1895

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/rpbsb


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Red Oak Methodist Church (Williamson, Ga.).
Title: Red Oak Methodist Church (Williamson, GA) records, 1823-1895
Call Number:Record Group No. 016
Extent: .25 cubic feet (1 box)
Abstract:Contains registers and minutes from Red Oak Methodist Church of Williamson, Georgia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Red Oak Methodist Church (Williamson, GA) records, RG 016, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nan Hagan, September 1994; Nancy H. Watkins, October 1996.


Collection Description

Historical Note

The Red Oak Methodist Church of Williamson, Georgia, was founded in 1823. The land for the church was deeded through Isaac B. Williamson and Gills Driver to two trustees, William M. Simmons and Benjamin F. Harper. The church originally stood on a site near a large red oak that was mentioned in the deed.

The first pastor was Andrew Hamell. The only recorded member for the first year was Frances Allen. There are no records of "class leaders" until 1872. These leaders were to watch over the spiritual welfare of the people, look after the poor, and report to the Quarterly Conference. Originally a part of the Zebulon Circuit, Red Oak was placed on the Griffin Circuit, then in 1922 it became a part of the Williamson Circuit. It is currently a part of the Heck Chapel-Red Oak Charge.

In 1856 the present church building was built. The vestibule, steeple and bell were added in 1902. The church was remodeled in 1946 under the leadership of Rev. C. B. Drake.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of three bound volumes dating from 1823 to 1895. The first two volumes contain a register of members and pastors, while the third volume is comprised of general church meeting minutes (1866-1895) and memorials to deceased members. The meeting minutes include reports from class leaders and reports of the trials of church members who were accussed of such acts as lewdness, public drunkenness, and adultery.

Arrangement Note

Arranged by material type.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Register of Pastors, members, deaths, disposals, and marriages, 1823 to 1895.
1 2 Register of members, and probationers, 1858 to 1876.
1 3 Minutes, 1866 to 1895.
v1.11.0-dev