Special collections reading rooms are currently open to Emory University students, faculty, and staff by appointment. Non-Emory-affiliated researcher access may be limited until January 31, 2022 in some repositories.

For assistance, please contact us at rose.library@emory.edu or 404-727-6887.

Camp Glisson (Dahlonega, Ga.) records, 1937-1976

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322


Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pmtcx

Collection Stored Off-Site

All or portions of this collection are housed off-site. Materials can still be requested but researchers should expect a delay of up to two business days for retrieval.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Camp Glisson (Dahlonega, Ga.).
Title: Camp Glisson (Dahlonega, Ga.) records, 1937-1976
Call Number:Record Group No. 023
Extent: 0.5 cubic ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Consists of a scrapbook, an account book, copies of a newsletter composed daily during summer camp sessions, and miscellaneous materials.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Pitts Theology Library in advance to access this collection.

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.


[after identification of item(s)], Camp Glisson (Dahlonega, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.


Processed by Nancy H. Watkins, 1997.

Collection Description

Biographical Note

Camp Glisson is a United Methodist retreat facility located in Dahlonega, Georgia. Its history as a Methodist institution began in 1926 when the Rev. Elbert Hale, pastor of the Hapeville M.E.C., S. in Hapeville, Georgia rented the facility for use as a summer camp for Methodist youth. At that time the area was known as Cane Creek Falls. He continued to administer the camp through 1930 when the Rev. Fred L. Glisson succeeded him as manager. Rev. Glisson continued in this position until 1944, often using his own funds to finance the operation of the camp. The camp was renamed Camp Glisson in his honor. A lake constructed in 1951 was named Lake Hale in honor of the camp founder.

During the 1930s the North Georgia Methodist Episcopal Conference gradually purchased the land and existing cabins from the Dahlonega Chamber of Commerce. In 1947 the Cane Creek Falls area was purchased from the Georgia Power Company. By 1953 the camp consisted of 175 acres. The camp program has continued to grow and Camp Glisson is now a year-round conference retreat center.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of a scrapbook, an account book, copies of “The Glissonette,” a newsletter composed daily during summer camp sessions, and miscellaneous materials. The scrapbook contains materials collected by Zola Marshall, who served as camp director from 1937-1941. The materials include program books, financial reports, sample copies of registration materials, and the director’s annual reports to the General Board of Christian Education of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, all from 1937-1941. Also included are photographs and newspaper clippings about the camp. The account book contains camp financial records from 1942 through 1947. The Board of Managers materials consist of meeting minutes, reports, and handouts from 1973 to 1976. “The Glissonette” newsletter (July 7-11, 1941; July 9-15, 1944; July 8-19, 1945; July 1-19, 1946) provides information about daily camp activities, cabin inspection reports, and other news items of interest to campers. A folder of miscellaneous materials contains a cash report for 1943, a list of camp officials for July 9-15, 1944, a 1945 letter regarding soft drink supplies, fundraising brochures for 1946 and 1961, a 1951 flyer for the Rome District Youth Camp, and newspaper clippings.

The collection furnishes information about the daily operation of summer camps for Methodist youth that were held at Camp Glisson from 1937-1946. The camp director’s annual reports supply the most detailed information by providing the names of all camp staff personnel, attendance statistics, plans for daily activities, daily schedules, and thorough evaluations of each camp session. The Rev. Fred Glisson is mentioned frequently in newspaper clippings and other materials, along with Waights G. Henry, Jr., R. G. Sisson, Joe Crawley, and J. Walker Chidsey, all of whom later became prominent as ministers in the North Georgia Conference. The collection is arranged alphabetically by type of material and thereunder, chronologically.

Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Account book, 1942-1947
1 5 Board of Managers meeting materials, 1973-1976
1 2 “Glissonette” newsletter, 1941-1946
1 3 Miscellaneous, 1943-1961
1 4 Scrapbook, 1937-1941