Nov 13-Feb 1, Rose Library will be by appointment only, requiring one week's notice. Please contact rose.library@emory.edu for assistance.

BETHESDA UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (LEXINGTON, GA.).
Bethesda United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.) records, 1893-1998

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pq4jr


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Bethesda United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.).
Title: Bethesda United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.) records, 1893-1998
Call Number:Record Group No. 028
Extent: 0.50 cubic ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Consists of committee and conference records, church registers, and minutes from the Bethesda United Methodist Church in Lexington, Georgia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Bound volumes may not be photocopied due to preservation concerns.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Bethesda United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Anne Graham, 2001.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Bethesda Methodist Episcopal Church, South was initially organized in 1879, with services held in the White Oak School. In 1901 Miss Babe Drake donated land for the construction of a church building. The church was finished and officially organized by Dr. Edward B. Reese in 1902. Dedication services, led by District Superintendent W. P. Lovejoy, took place in April 1903. Although a heavy storm in 1935 caused major structural damage, services continued to be held there until 1958 when the building was demolished. The second building was completed in 1960 and extensive renovations were undertaken from 1975-1982.

Bethesda United Methodist Church was located in the Athens-Elberton District of the North Georgia Conference. The congregation voted to close the church on October 17, 1998.

Scope and Content Note

The organization records consist of two church registers dating from 1893-1967; charge conference records from 1973-1985; Building Committee records from 1958-1959; Methodist Youth Fellowship minutes from 1978-1982; and a folder of miscellaneous material from 1926-1998. The church registers list church pastors and membership. They contain little information on baptisms and marriages.

Arrangement Note

Organized alphabetically.



Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Building Committee records, 1958-1959
1 2 Charge conference records, 1973
1 3 Charge conference records, 1974
1 4 Charge conference records, 1975
1 5 Charge conference records, 1976
1 6 Charge conference records, 1977
1 7 Charge conference records, 1978
1 8 Charge conference records, 1979
1 9 Charge conference records, 1980
1 10 Charge conference records, 1981
1 11 Charge conference records, 1982-1984
1 12 Charge conference records, 1985
1 13 Church register, 1893-1957
1 14 Church register, 1893-1969
1 15 Methodist Youth Fellowship minutes, 1978-1980
1 16 Methodist Youth Fellowship minutes, 1981-1982
1 17 Miscellaneous, 1926-1998
v1.11.0-dev