Special collections reading rooms are currently open to Emory University students, faculty, and staff by appointment. Non-Emory-affiliated researcher access may be limited until January 31, 2022 in some repositories.

For assistance, please contact us at rose.library@emory.edu or 404-727-6887.

Nicholson United Methodist Church (Nicholson, Ga.) records, 1908-1994

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322


Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pq4kw

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Nicholson United Methodist Church (Nicholson, Ga.).
Title: Nicholson United Methodist Church (Nicholson, Ga.) records, 1908-1994
Call Number:Record Group No. 029
Extent: 0.50 cubic ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Contains the organizational records of the Nicholson United Methodist Church, including administrative council minutes, transcripts, and programs.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.


[after identification of item(s)], Nicholson United Methodist Church (Nicholson, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.


Processed by Anne Graham, 2001.

Collection Description

Biographical Note

Nicholson Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized between 1906-1907 and was the first church established in Nicholson, Georgia. The original building was completed in 1908 on land donated by Mrs. Mattie V. Smith and was in use until 1920-1922 when a new church was built. A third, and final, building was constructed in 1955.

Nicholson United Methodist Church was located in the Athens-Elberton District of the North Georgia Conference. It was closed in 1994 as a result of declining membership. Remaining members transferred to Antioch United Methodist Church in Athens, Georgia. The final service was held on April 24, 1994.

Scope and Content Note

The organization records consist of the minutes of Nicholson’s Administrative Council from 1986-1994 and lists of officers of the Administrative Council from 1987-1992; Building committee records from 1991-1992; a transcribed copy of the church register from 1908-1994; miscellaneous records from 1992-1994; and church service programs from 1987 May-1994 April.

The church register transcript was compiled by Herbert Barnett in 1991 with updates through 1994. The location of the original is unknown.

Arrangement Note

Organized alphabetically.

Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Administrative Council: Minutes, 1986-1992
1 2 Administrative Council: Minutes (Bound), 1987-1994
1 3 Administrative Council: Officers, 1987-1988
1 4 Administrative Council: Officers, 1989-1992
1 5 Building committee records, 1991-1992
1 6 Church register transcript, 1908-1994
1 7 Miscellaneous, 1992-1994
1 8 Programs, 1987 May-1992 July
1 9 Programs, 1992 August-1994 April