Requesting of offsite materials will be unavailable December 13-17.

Researchers visiting Rose Library during that time should make requests for offsite materials by 5pm on Wednesday, December 12.

For assistance, please contact us at rose.library@emory.edu or 404-727-6887.

MAYSON METHODIST CHURCH (ATLANTA, GA.).
Mayson Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1885-1966

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pq4m1


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Mayson Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.).
Title: Mayson Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1885-1966
Call Number:Record Group No. 030
Extent: 1.00 cubic ft. (2 boxes)
Abstract:Contains the organizational records of the Mayson Methodist Church in Atlanta, including correspondence, roll cards, church register, and quarterly conference records.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Mayson Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Anne Graham, 2001.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Mayson’s Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized around 1860. It was originally a branch of Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church, South, which is known to have been inactive by 1923. Church property was donated by James L. Mayson, a local plantation owner. The first building was destroyed during the Civil War and a second building was erected some time after 1871. The congregation was notable for its racial diversity before the Civil War.

Mayson Methodist Church was located at 3285 Bankhead Highway and the parsonage at 1380 Bolton Road in Atlanta, Georgia in the Atlanta-Marietta District of the North Georgia Conference. Little is known about the church from 1923 until 1960, when membership was steadily declining. On November 11, 1963 members voted to close Mayson Methodist Church. The church property was sold, with proceeds going to fund new building projects in the Atlanta-Marietta District.

Scope and Content Note

The organization records consists of the church register from 1885-1964; correspondence from 1960-1964; undated family roll cards; property records from 1953-1966; and quarterly conference records from 1960-1964. The church register contains information on marriages, births, deaths, and membership. The register also includes a transcript of church members from the 1885-1950 record of members and a summary of church activities from 1951-1952. The family roll cards contain name and contact information of church members. The property records consist of deeds, site plans, and correspondence concerning final disposition.

Arrangement Note

Organized alphabetically.



Container List

Box Folder Content
2 1 Church register, 1885-1964
1 1 Correspondence, 1960-1964
1 2 Family roll cards, undated
1 3 Property, 1953-1966
1 4 Quarterly conference records, 1960 April- 1961 April
1 5 Quarterly conference records, 1961 April-1962 October
1 6 Quarterly conference records, 1962 October-1963 November
1 7 Quarterly conference records, 1963 May-1964 June
v1.11.0-dev