MOUNT VERNON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (DOUGLASVILLE, GA.).
Mount Vernon United Methodist Church (Douglasville, Ga.), records, 1901-1975

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pq4qf


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Mount Vernon United Methodist Church (Douglasville, Ga.).
Title: Mount Vernon United Methodist Church (Douglasville, Ga.), records, 1901-1975
Call Number:Record Group No. 033
Extent: 0.5 cubic ft. (1 box + 1 legal folder)
Abstract:Consists of a church register and a folder of loose material from Mount Vernon United Methodist Church in Douglasville, Georgia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Mount Vernon United Methodist Church (Douglasville, Ga.), Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Anne Graham, 2001.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Mount Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church, South originally met in the Old Round Top School until the first sanctuary was completed in 1900. The site of the school, and later the church building, was donated by Mr. Wiley Mitchell. It was the first church in the Austell Circuit of the Marietta District and was named by Mrs. Clara Howell. The Rev. J. T. Eakes served as the first pastor.

Mount Vernon United Methodist Church joined the Rome District of the North Georgia Conference in 1943, moving to the Atlanta-Southwest District in 1964. Mr. T. K. Mayfield donated half an acre of land in 1963 for the construction of a parsonage. Church membership dropped to less than 25 between 1969 and 1970. Church officials voted to close the church and distribute its assets to the District Board of Missionaries and Church Extension. Furnishings were given to Flint Hill United Methodist Church, as well as other churches within the district. The parsonage was never built and the donated property reverted to the heirs of Mr. Mayfield. The church property was sold in 1973 to a Baptist congregation.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of a church register (1901-1975) and a folder of loose material from the register (1963-1975). The register contains records of baptisms (1901-1952) and membership (1901-1975) in addition to annual summary statistics (1957-1958). The folder contains membership material, correspondence, and miscellaneous documents.

Although Mount Vernon United Methodist Church was officially closed between 1969 and 1970, correspondence and membership records continued to be compiled until 1975.



Container List

Box Folder Content
2 Church register, 1901-1975
1 Loose material, 1963-1975
v1.11.0-dev