SOUTH BEND UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (ATLANTA, GA.) RECORDS.
South Bend United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1941-1986

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pq4rk


Descriptive Summary

Creator: South Bend United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) Records.
Title: South Bend United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1941-1986
Call Number:Record Group No. 034
Extent: 1.00 cubic ft. (2 boxes)
Abstract:Consists of the church membership and financial records of the South Bend United Methodist Church in Atlanta, Georgia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], South Bend United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Anne Graham, 2001.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

South Bend Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized in 1886 from the congregation of Oakland Methodist Episcopal Church, South which stood at the corner of Jonesboro Road and Lakewood Terrace in the Lakewood Heights area of Atlanta. The site was donated by Colonel John Miller Clark Reid, who was also one of the founding members. The new congregation was created when the cemetery and sanctuary of Oakland were moved across the street to accommodate a building project by Atlanta Water Works. The first pastor of South Bend was Reverend Brooks.

On April 4, 1939, Easter Sunday, the sanctuary was destroyed by a fire. Church members salvaged the piano, pews, and hymnals. Because membership was low during this time, the building was not insured. Services and Sunday school were held in homes until a temporary structure could be erected on the site. The congregation met there from May 21, 1939 until November 12, 1939 when the new sanctuary was completed. The dedication was delayed until April 7, 1940 due to an error in the cornerstone lettering. The temporary structure remained on the northwest corner of the site and was used to hold meetings during the summer months. Eventually sides and floors were added and the building was used to house the Men's Bible class.

During the next two decades the congregation embarked on several building projects. A parsonage was built in 1952 and an educational complex in 1957. In 1964 plans were created for a new sanctuary. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on January 2, 1966 with the first service taking place on May 15, 1966. The parsonage was extensively renovated in 1978. In response to a steady decline in membership the congregation voted to disband on October 22, 1985. The last service was held on June 8, 1986. Trustees of the North Georgia Conference resolved to turn the property over to the Korean Church of Atlanta, which met there until 1995.

South Bend United Methodist Church was located at 850 McWilliams Road in southeast Atlanta. At the time of its closing it was located in the Atlanta-Emory District.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of church membership and financial records. The membership records include two church registers, updated membership notebook and roll, correspondence pertaining to membership, and transfer slips. The financial records include church building bonds, the church school Treasurer's record, the Financial Secretary's records, and the church Treasurer's records.

The first church register (1941-1986) contains baptismal (1966-1981) and preparatory and full membership records (1941-1986). It contains no marriage or death records. The second register (1945-1974) contains baptismal (1961-1962) and preparatory and full membership records (1945-1974). It does not contain any marriage records but does list some death records (1962-1966). There is a copy of a church history included in the Historical Record section. The membership notebook (1973-1985) lists the names of active members as well as those removed by request, transfer, and death. It also includes a roll of those attending the charge conference. The membership roll (1959-1986) is an alphabetical listing of members, noting those who have withdrawn, transferred, or died. Membership transfers (1969-1985) contains correspondence and slips regarding membership transfers.



Container List

Membership Records
Box Folder Content
1 1 Church register, 1941-1986
1 2 Church register, 1945-1974
1 3 Membership notebook, 1973-1985
1 4 Membership roll, 1959-1986
1 5 Membership transfers, 1969-1985
Financial Records
1 6 Church building bonds records, 1957-1971
1 7 Church school Treasurer's record, 1972 June-1982 December
2 1 Financial Secretary's records, 1961 November-1962 June
2 2 Financial Secretary's records, 1969-1981
2 3 Financial Secretary's records, 1982 January-1986 June
2 4 Financial Secretary's loose material, 1985
2 5 Treasurer's records, 1950 July-1970 December
2 6 Treasurer's records, 1971 January-1978 February
2 7 Treasurer's records, 1979-1983
2 8 Treasurer's records, 1984
2 9 Treasurer's loose material, 1962
v1.11.0-dev