ST. LUKE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (ATLANTA, GA.).
St. Luke United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1964-1972

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pq4tv


Descriptive Summary

Creator: St. Luke United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.).
Title: St. Luke United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1964-1972
Call Number:Record Group No. 036
Extent: 0.5 cubic ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Consists of membership records, quarterly conference records, and Treasurer's records from the St. Luke United Methodist Church in Atlanta, Georgia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], St. Luke United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Cindy Bunch and Joan Clemens, 2003.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

St. Luke United Methodist Church began in late 1892 as an Atlanta missionary effort of the North Georgia Conference. Services and Sunday school were initially held in the pastor’s residence at No. 67 Powell Street. As the church grew meetings were held at a rented facility at No. 74 South Boulevard. After several months, Rev. E. M. Stanton procured land for a church building. On May 14, 1893, the church was officially organized. Its building was located at Powell St. and Berean Avenue. until 1923 when a new building was erected at 143 Pearl Street. S.E.

In 1974, St. Luke was declared abandoned due to a lack of both funds and an active congregation. The church property was then leased to the City of Atlanta. A study was conducted in 1976 to see if it was feasible to repair and reopen the church. In 1982, the church property was put up for sale with proceeds from the sale to return to the North Georgia Conference.

Biographical Source: St. Luke church history, Box 25 Folder 17, United Methodist Church (U.S.) North Georgia Conference Local church histories, MSS 028, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Biographical Source: Lawrence, Harold. Changes in charge lines: North Georgia Conference, 1913-1996. Milledgeville, Ga.: Boyd Publishing Company, 1997.

Scope and Content Note

The organization records consist of a church register, three bound treasurer’s records, and quarterly conference reports for 1964 to 1971. The bulk of the records are quarterly conference reports. These include reports from the treasurer and trustees in addition to reports of the various offices and committees within the church. The church register covers births, deaths, baptisms, weddings, and funerals. The treasurer’s records provide a fairly detailed look at the church’s budget, billing and payment procedures, as well as noting giving.



Container List

Membership Records
Box Folder Content
1 1 Church register, 1967-1972
1 2 Church register - loose material, 1967-1972
Quarterly Conference Records
1 3 Conference reports, 1970-1971
1 4 Conference reports, 1969
1 5 Conference reports, 1968
1 6 Conference reports, 1967
1 7 Conference reports, 1966
1 8 Conference reports, 1965
1 9 Report of the treasurer, 1965-1970
1 10 Report of the trustees, 1964-1969
Treasurer's Records
1 11 Treasurer's records, 1968-1969
1 12 Treasurer's records - loose material, 1968-1969
1 13 Treasurer's records, 1966 April-1967
1 14 Treasurer's records, 1964 June-1966 March
1 15 Treasurer's records - loose material, 1964 June-1966 March
v1.11.0-dev