LAKEWOOD HEIGHTS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (ATLANTA, GA).
Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church (Atlanta, GA.) records, 1914-2001

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pqq50


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga).
Title: Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church (Atlanta, GA.) records, 1914-2001
Call Number:Record Group No. 047
Extent: 3.43 cubic ft. (9 boxes)
Abstract:Contains administrative files, membership and financial records, and photographs from the Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church (Atlanta, GA.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Aimee Morgan, 2005.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church had its origins in a Sunday school begun in 1906 by Charles Burge. The church was organized following a revival meeting; on June 23, 1906, the church’s five original trustees purchased land on the corner of Lakewood and Wooley Avenues. In November of that year, the North Georgia Conference Extension Board granted $300 for the construction of a church building. The date that construction began and the date of the first service in the new building are unknown. Reverend E.K. Akin was the first pastor.

Church membership grew steadily for several decades; particularly after the establishment of a Woman’s Missionary Society. The Methodist Men’s Club was organized in conference year 1944-1945, and the Wesleyan Service Guild was founded in 1948. A new church building was completed in 1949. The church purchased a parsonage in 1950, and constructed a new parsonage in 1960.

Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church closed in 2003.

Scope and Content Note

The records of Lakewood Heights United Methodist Church document the administration, membership, and history of the church from 1914 through the 1990s. There is, however, no information about the closing of the church in 2003.

Arrangement Note

Organized into 5 series: (1) Administrative Files, (2) History, (3) Membership Records, (4) Photographs and Scrapbooks, and (5) Financial Records.



Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev