ST. MATTHEW UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (EAST POINT, GA).
St. Matthew United Methodist Church (East Point, GA.) records, 1954-2001, undated

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pqqsg

Collection Stored Off-Site

All or portions of this collection are housed off-site. Materials can still be requested but researchers should expect a delay of up to two business days for retrieval.


Descriptive Summary

Creator: St. Matthew United Methodist Church (East Point, GA).
Title: St. Matthew United Methodist Church (East Point, GA.) records, 1954-2001, undated
Call Number:Record Group No. 048
Extent: 11.05 cubic ft. (15 boxes)
Abstract:Consists of administrative and historical files, quarterly and charge conference records, committee files, treasurer’s reports, newsletters, bulletins, and Sunday school records from the St. Matthew United Methodist Church in East Point, Georgia.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Pitts Theology Library in advance to access this collection.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], St. Matthew United Methodist Church (East Point, GA.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Aimee Morgan, 2005.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

St. Matthew United Methodist Church was founded as St. Matthew Methodist Church on January 9, 1955. An initial organizational meeting had been held on November 14, 1954. The superintendent of the Atlanta East District, Nat G. Long, selected four Candler School of Theology Students to organize the church. These students were Gerry Hearin Jr. (who was appointed pastor in charge), Jack Henton, Ray Finklea, and Ernest Hogge. A fifth Candler student, Kenneth Burnett, was also active in the founding of the church, and began its first youth program.

There were 91 charter members of the church. The first prayer meeting was held on January 23, 1955, and the first evening church service on March 6 of that year. In December 1955, the church purchased its first parsonage. Worship services were held at Parklane School, site of the initial organizational meeting, until 1958, when a church building was constructed on land donated by Allen Tankersley. The building included a chapel, a nursery, a kitchen, and classrooms. Planning for a sanctuary began in 1967, and construction was completed in 1970.

Church membership reached a high of 365 in 1971, then declined steadily for the next three decades. The pastor’s church conference report for 1999 reported a total of 86 members. Numbers continued to drop due to death and relocation of longtime members. The church closed in May 2001.

For a detailed, year-by-year overview of the church’s history, see the narrative accounts in Series 1, Box 1, Folders 2-3.

Scope and Content Note

This collection documents the history of St. Matthew’s Church from its founding in 1955 through the 1990s through administrative and historical files, quarterly and charge conference records, committee files, treasurer’s reports, newsletters, bulletins, and Sunday school records. The collection does not, however, provide any documentation of the decision to close the church in 2001.

Also included is material on two women’s’ groups within the church: United Methodist Women and the Quilting Group. United Methodist Women, originally the Women’s Society of Christian Service, was founded in 1955. The Quilting Group began in the early 1980s as a group of women who gathered to quilt and pray together. They sold their quilts and used the proceeds to support the church’s mission.

Arrangement Note

Organized into 11 series: (1) Historical Files, (2) Administrative Records, (3) Quarterly, Charge, and Church Conference Records, (4) Building Committee, (5) Membership Records, (6) Education Records, (7) United Methodist Women, (8) Printed Materials, (9) Financial Records, (10) Quilting Group, and (11) Photographs.



Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev