Nov 13-Feb 1, Rose Library will be by appointment only, requiring one week's notice. Please contact rose.library@emory.edu for assistance.

COKESBURY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (ATLANTA, GA).
Cokesbury United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1949-2006

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pqv34

Collection Stored Off-Site

All or portions of this collection are housed off-site. Materials can still be requested but researchers should expect a delay of up to two business days for retrieval.


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Cokesbury United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga).
Title: Cokesbury United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1949-2006
Call Number:Record Group No. 054
Extent: 10.0 cubic ft. (10 boxes)
Abstract:Contains meeting minutes, membership records, financial documents, charge and church conference records, weekly church bulletins, and monthly newsletters from the Cokesbury United Methodist Church.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Pitts Theology Library in advance to access this collection.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Cokesbury United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Aimee Morgan, 2006.


Collection Description

Biographical Note

Cokesbury United Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) was founded as Cokesbury Methodist Church in 1949. Following approval by the conference’s Board of Missions, a group formed to purchase land for the church at the corner of Buford Highway and Sheridan Road. In October 1949, a Board of Trustees was elected at a meeting held at Rock Springs Primary School. Services were held at Rock Springs until the completion of the Sheridan Road Church in 1952.

A parsonage on High Haven Court NE was dedicated in 1965 by Bishop John Owen Smith. From 1966-1967, the church worshipped at Briarcliff High School. In 1967, the church constructed an education building at 2650 North Druid Hills Road. Worship services were held in the education building until the construction of the North Druid Hills Road sanctuary in 1991. Resident Bishop James Lloyd Knox dedicated the sanctuary on June 19, 1994.

On March 26, 2006, a called church conference was held to discuss the future of Cokesbury. In light of financial difficulties and declining membership, members voted to discontinue worship. Cokesbury United Methodist Church held its last service of worship on June 4, 2006. As of fall 2006, the North Druid Hills Road property formerly occupied by Cokesbury was occupied by Still Waters United Methodist Church.

The ministers of Cokesbury United Methodist Church were: Dr. J.W. Swagerty (1949-1955), Dr. Walter Brown (1955-1960), Rev. J.W. Scarbrough (1960-1964), Rev. Allen T. Newby (1964-1968), Rev. Bob H. Berrier (1968-1969), Rev. Gerald Jacobson (1969-1973), Rev. Norton Campbell, Jr. (1973-1980), Rev. Charles H. Duffey (1980-1984), Rev. Frank E. Jenkins (1984-1987), Dr. James D. Howell (1987-1993), Dr. William A. McKoy (1993-1998), Rev. Charles Thomas Tout (1998-2001), and Rev. Donn Ann Weber (2001-2006).

Scope and Content Note

The records of Cokesbury United Methodist Church include meeting minutes, membership records, financial documents, charge and church conference records, weekly church bulletins, and monthly newsletters. Although the records date from the church’s founding in 1949 through its closing in 2006, there are some gaps in coverage throughout. Most significantly, there is very little documentation of the founding of the church and its early development from 1949-1957. For more information about gaps in individual series of records, consult the series descriptions below.

Arrangement Note

Organized into 7 series: (1) Administrative Records, (2) Financial Records, (3) Charge/Church Conference Records, (4) Bulletins, (5) Newsletters, (6) Audiovisual Materials, and (7) Oversize Framed Items.



Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev