As of December 20, 2022, appointments to view special collections material will be required. After making a request, please follow the prompts in Emory’s Special Collections Request System to also make an appointment.

For assistance, please contact us at rose.library@emory.edu or 404-727-6887.

Lexington United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.) records, 1973-1994

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322


Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/pqv5d

Collection Stored Off-Site

All or portions of this collection are housed off-site. Materials can still be requested but researchers should expect a delay of up to two business days for retrieval.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Lexington United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga).
Title: Lexington United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.) records, 1973-1994
Call Number:Record Group No. 056
Extent: 0.40 cubic feet (1 box)
Abstract:Contains financial documents and correspondence related to the Lexington United Methodist Church.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Pitts Theology Library in advance to access this collection.

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.


[after identification of item(s)], Lexington United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ga.) Records, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.


Processed by Aimee Morgan, 2007.

Collection Description

Biographical Note

Lexington United Methodist Church was organized in Lexington, Georgia in 1823. In 1827, a church building was constructed on land purchased from John Moore for $100. This building was torn down in 1892-1893, and a new building was constructed in a different location on the same plot of land. A third church building was constructed on the same location as the second in 1955.

The original parsonage was located elsewhere in the town of Lexington, but later a parsonage was built on the land sold to the church in 1827. A 1952 fire destroyed the parsonage, as well as all existing church records. A new parsonage was constructed immediately.

By the 1990s, church membership had fallen sharply. Lexington United Methodist Church closed in 1994.

Scope and Content Note

The records document only a small part of Lexington United Methodist Church’s 171-year history. Records prior to 1952 were lost in the parsonage fire that occurred in the same year.

The majority of files in this record group document the financial status of the church. They include budgets, bank statements, and acknowledgment of contributions made to the United Methodist Children’s Home and to Wesley Homes. There is also a small amount of correspondence between the North Georgia Conference and the church.

Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Apportionments, 1977-1978
1 2 Bank Statements, 1988-1993
1 3 Bank Statements, 1994
1 4 Budget, 1977-1979
1 5 Charge Conferences and Reports to Annual Conference, 1973-1979
1 6-7 Charge Conferences, Reports to Annual Conference, and Correspondence with Conference, 1988-1994
1 8 United Methodist Children’s Home, 1975-1991
1 9 Wesley Homes, Acknowledgment of Donations, 1980, 1992