METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. GEORGIA CONFERENCE.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Georgia Conference records, 1867-1908.

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/rpdjk


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Methodist Episcopal Church. Georgia Conference.
Title: Methodist Episcopal Church, Georgia Conference records, 1867-1908.
Call Number:Record Group No. 073
Extent: 0.8 cubic feet (2 boxes)
Abstract:Consists of handwritten and conference minutes, reports, and roll book, and one photograph of the Cape May Commission.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Methodist Episcopal Church, Georgia Conference records, RG 073, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Brandon Wason, January 2016.


Collection Description

Historical Note

In the middle of the nineteenth century, there were significant tensions in the Methodist Episcopal Church over the issue of slavery. This ultimately led to the denomination's adoption of the Plan of Separation in June of 1844, which created two separate entities: the Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC) and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South (MECS). This separation was a precursor to the political succession of the seven Southern States in January of 1861 and the formation of the Confederate States of America. During the first couple of decades the MEC and the MECS separately operated in the North and South respectively, but following the conclusion of the Civil War, the MEC instituted a mission, led by Bishop Davis W. Clark, that would expand the MEC into the Southern States. This coincided with the activity of the MECS ministers such as John H. Caldwell, who spoke out against slavery in 1865. Caldwell's message was not received positively by many in the MECS, especially his Presiding Elder, and so he withdrew from the denomination. Caldwell and others met with Bishop Clark in 1866 and organized the "Georgia and Alabama Mission District" which was connected to the Kentucky Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Reverend J. F. Chalfant of Cincinnati was appointed as the superintendent of the mission. The mission and subsequent establishment of the Georgia Annual Conference sought to ease racial tensions and originally both black and white congregations belonged to the same conference. In 1876, the integrated conference split; the Georgia Conference remained and a new "Savannah Conference" was created, composed primarily of African-American churches. Though fraternal efforts were made between the MEC and the MECS, they would remain separate until their unity in 1939.

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains records dating back to the first meeting of the reconstituted MEC Georgia Conference in 1867. There is one record book of the Georgia Conference (1867-1897), a report book (1867-1902), and a roll book of members in full connection (1867-1908). There is also a photograph of the Cape May Commission (1876), a committee comprised of MEC and MECS representatives to foster fraternal relations between the two entities. Erasmus Q. Fuller (1828-1883) of the MEC Georgia Conference, was one of the members of this committee.

Arrangement Note

Arranged by record type.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Records of the Annual Conference, 1867-1897
2 1 Reports of the Annual Session, 1867-1902
2 2 Roll Book (members in full connection), 1867-1908
1 2 Photograph of Cape May Commission, 1876
v1.11.0-dev