TRINITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (ROYSTON, GA.).
Trinity United Methodist Church records, 1924-2017

Emory University

Pitts Theology Library

1531 Dickey Drive, Suite 560

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-4166

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/vnc09


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Trinity United Methodist Church (Royston, Ga.).
Title: Trinity United Methodist Church records, 1924-2017
Call Number:Record Group No. 089
Extent: .4 cubic feet (1 box)
Abstract:This collection consists of the membership records, bulletins, photographs, correspondence, bulletins, publications from Trinity United Methodist Church.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Trinity United Methodist Church records, RG 089, Archives and Manuscript Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nelson Fredsell, September 2019.


Collection Description

Historical Note

Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church (Royston and Carnesville, Franklin County, Georgia) was founded by George and Sarah Ann Cromer of Newberry, South Carolina, with seven others, in April 1870. In 1874 George Cromer deeded more than 100 acres for a church and parsonage. In 1881 a second building replaced the first one in order to accommodate a larger congregation. This building was used until it was destroyed by a tornado in 1944. The church was rebuilt later that year, and a fellowship hall was added about 1971. In 1939 the church became part of The Methodist Church when three Methodist branches joined together. In 1958 Trinity was one of three churches that formed the Bold Spring Charge (Circuit). In 1968 the church became part of the newly formed United Methodist Church national denomination. In 1991 the congregation was approximately 100 members. The church became part of the Sandy Cross Charge (Circuit) with Pennington Chapel in 2000. This circuit was within of the Athens-Elberton District of the North Georgia Conference of the UMC. In 2017 the membership was approximately 32, and in 2018 the decision was made to close the church after almost 150 years of service.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of the membership records, bulletins, photographs, correspondence, bulletins, publications, and other material that document the history and activities of the congregation from 1924 to 2017.

Arrangement Note

Arranged alphabetically by description.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Bulletins (includes history of the church, 1870-2010), 1974-2010
1 2 Church album (photocopies, photographs, newspaper clippings), 1870-2011
1 3 Church deed (1909) copy, Franklin County, 1945
1 4 Church deeds (1874-1945) [photocopies] and property survey (2002)
1 5 Church directories, 2012-2013
1 6 Church records (circa 1883-1940), circa 1928-1940
1 7 Diary of Sarah Ann Atkins Cromer, 1858-1877 of Franklin County, Georgia [printed book], 2016
1 8 Ledger, 1952-1968
1 9 Membership and vital records, circa 1938-2010
1 10 Membership letter of reference, James Thurston Whitfield, 1924
1 11 Membership lists, 1991-2017
1 12 Pulpit Bible dedications [photocopies] (1945, 2010)
v1.11.0-dev