Nov 13-Feb 1, Rose Library will be by appointment only, requiring one week's notice. Please contact rose.library@emory.edu for assistance.

CARNEGIE LIBRARY OF ATLANTA. LIBRARY SCHOOL.
Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta director's files, 1905-1971

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

Fax: 404-727-0360

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmv9d

Collection Stored Off-Site

All or portions of this collection are housed off-site. Materials can still be requested but researchers should expect a delay of up to two business days for retrieval.


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Carnegie Library of Atlanta. Library School.
Title: Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta director's files, 1905-1971
Call Number:Series No. 12
Extent: 6 linear ft. (6 boxes) and 1 oversized paper folder (OP)
Abstract:The Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta, was established in Atlanta, Ga., 1905, as the Southern Library School. The Library School was financed, 1914-1925, by Carnegie Corporation and became affiliated with Emory University in 1925 and officially under the administration of the University in 1930. Tommie Dora Barker served as the head librarian and director of the school, 1915-1930. The collection includes the papers of Tommie Dora Barker as director and head librarian of the the Library School, including administrative records, alumnae records, course outlines, and student and prospective student folders. The collection also includes correspondence, organizational records, clippings, and other papers, relating to Barker's work with American Library Association, for which she served as a field agent in the South (1930-1936), Southeastern Library Association, Carnegie Library School, and Emory University Library School and Division of Librarianship. Notable correspondents include Andrew Carnegie, Edwin R. Embree, Leo Mortimer Farnot, Clark Foreman, Frederick P. Keppel, and Louis Round Wilson.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact MARBL in advance to access this collection.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Division of Librarianship records, Series 13.

Source

Gift 1979.

Custodial History

Originally known as: Tommie Dora Barker office files.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta director's files, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Nancy Watkins, 2009.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Southern Library school was established in Atlanta, Ga., in 1905. In 1907 it became the Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta to reflect its relationship with the Carnegie Library. The school was funded by the Carnegie Corporation, 1914-1925, and became affiliated with Emory University in 1925. In 1930, the school officially came under the administration of the University and became the Emory University Library School. In 1948 the Library School became the Division of Librarianship of the Emory University Graduate School.

Tommie Dora Barker (1888-1978), a graduate of the Library School of Carnegie Library of Atlanta, served as its director and head librarian, 1915-1930. She later became dean of the Emory University Library School, 1936-1948. Barker was also an active member and officer in several professional organizations including the American Library Association, Georgia Library Commission, Georgia State Board for Certification of Librarians, Southern Library Association, Georgia Library Association, and Association of American Library Schools.

The Southern Library school was established in Atlanta, Ga., in 1905. In 1907 it became the Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta to reflect its relationship with the Carnegie Library. The school was funded by the Carnegie Corporation, 1914-1925, and became affiliated with Emory University in 1925. In 1930, the school officially came under the administration of the University and became the Emory University Library School. In 1948 the Library School became the Division of Librarianship of the Emory University Graduate School.

Tommie Dora Barker (1888-1978), a graduate of the Library School of Carnegie Library of Atlanta, served as its director and head librarian, 1915-1930. She later became dean of the Emory University Library School, 1936-1948. Barker was also an active member and officer in several professional organizations including the American Library Association, Georgia Library Commission, Georgia State Board for Certification of Librarians, Southern Library Association, Georgia Library Association, and Association of American Library Schools.

Scope and Content Note

The collection includes the papers of Tommie Dora Barker as director and head librarian of the the Library School, including administrative records, alumnae records, course outlines, and student and prospective student folders. Some records relate to the Emory University Library School or document the school's relationship with Emory University and the transition to the Emory University Division of Librarianship. The collection also includes correspondence, organizational records, clippings, memorabilia, and other papers, relating to Barker's professional achievements and her work with American Library Association, for which she served as a field agent in the South (1930-1936). Notable correspondents include Andrew Carnegie, Edwin R. Embree, Leo Mortimer Farnot, Clark Foreman, Frederick P. Keppel, and Louis Round Wilson.

Arrangement Note

Organized into two series: (1) Administrative records and (2) Tommmie Dora Barker papers.

Finding Aid Note

Original finding aid available in Box 1: Folder 1A.


Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev