EMORY UNIVERSITY. DIVISION OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT.
Division of Library and Information Management records, 1899-1988 (bulk 1928-1988)

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

Fax: 404-727-0360

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmvbj


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. Division of Library and Information Management.
Title: Division of Library and Information Management records, 1899-1988 (bulk 1928-1988)
Call Number:Series No. 13
Extent: 104.5 linear ft. (132 boxes and 2 oversized papers)
Abstract:Emory University’s Division of Library and Information Management grew out of the Carnegie Library School of Atlanta, which operated from 1905 to 1930, and the Emory University Library School, which existed from 1930 to 1948. Between 1948 and 1981 it was called the Division of Librarianship. Records from the Division of Library and Information Management and its predecessor organizations include directors' files, curricula, correspondence, faculty meeting minutes, memoranda, and photographs and audiovisual material.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Special restrictions apply: Records stored off site; researchers must contact MARBL in advance to access these materials.

Researchers must contact MARBL in advance to access audiovisual materials.

Some series and select material restricted in accordance with Emory University Archives Policy for student, personnel, and financial records.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta director's files.

Source

Transfer

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Division of Library and Information Management records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2008, with additions processed by Sean Suarez, 2015.


Collection Description

Administrative History

Emory University’s Division of Library and Information Management grew out of the Carnegie Library School of Atlanta, which operated from 1905 to 1930, and the Emory University Library School, which existed from 1930 to 1948. In 1905, three years after opening the Carnegie Library Atlanta, Andrew Carnegie began to contribute $4,000 annually to the library for the purpose of developing a “Training School” for its librarians, first called the Southern Library School. Led by librarian Anne Wallace, it was the southeastern United States’ first training school for professional librarians. In 1907 Andrew Carnegie increased his yearly contribution to the school to $4,500 and it was incorporated in Fulton County under the name of the Carnegie Library Training School of Atlanta. In 1915 it became a charter member of the Association of American Library Schools.

On October 11, 1925 the school became affiliated with Emory University, and by 1928 Emory University was conferring the Library School’s degrees. In 1930 the University formally subsumed the school when its facilities were relocated to the fourth floor of Emory’s newly-complete Asa Griggs Candler Library. The Carnegie Foundation and the Rosenwald Fund provided a combined gift of $100,000 to support the school during its first five years at Emory. Tommie Dora Barker provided much of the early leadership for the school. She was head administrator of the Carnegie Library Training School from 1915 to 1930, and Dean, then Director, of the school as it existed at Emory from 1935 to 1954. Clara E. Howard served as the inaugural dean of the Emory University Library School from 1930 to 1935.

When Emory’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences absorbed the Library School in 1948, it became a master’s-level program and the University reorganized it into a division, the Division of Librarianship, under the leadership of a director rather than a dean. Evalene Jackson succeeded Tommie Dora Barker as Director of the Division of Librarianship from 1955 to 1964. A. Venable Lawson followed her as Director from 1965 until the Division’s closure in 1988. Under Lawson, the Division began to offer the Diploma for Advanced Studies in Librarianship. It was renamed the Division of Library and Information Management in 1981 to reflect the changing technological and information landscape of the later twentieth century.

The $105 million so-called Woodruff Gift in 1979 precipitated a reimaging and restructuring of the University that, in early 1987, led administrators to recommend to the Board of Trustees to close the Division of Library and Information Management. During the annual Tommie Dora Barker lectures in spring 1988, the Division of Library and Information Management hosted a large closure celebration for alumni, faculty, staff, and friends. Its final students graduated during commencement exercises of the same year.

Scope and Content Note

Series 1, Curriculum, consists of collated syllabus and course materials spanning the library program's instructional history at the Carnegie Library and Emory University.

Series 2, Student and alumni records, consists of admission, academic, personal, and donor records for graduates of the Division of Library and Information Management and its predecessor organizations. Pre- and post-enrollment correspondence is present in some earlier files, as are admission examinations and faculty evaluations. Series also includes student record cards, which list basic biographical information about each student.

Series 3, Administrative records includes correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, exit interviews, policy memoranda, newsletters, and records related to national and regional professional organizations. Divisional accreditation reports and self-studies are also included, as are records related to endowments specific to the Library School and Division of Librarianship.

Series 4, Directors' Files, comprises the office files of three directors of the Division of Library and Information Management and its predecessor units at Emory University: Evalene Jackson, Tommie Dora Barker, and A. Venable Lawson. Included are memoranda, meeting minutes, records related to professional organizations and accreditation, and correspondence both personal and professional. All materials originate after the incorporation of the Carnegie Library School into Emory University in 1930.

Series 5, Events, includes internal memoranda, proposals, correspondence, brochures, flyers, and some photographs related to lectures, conference, workshops, and institutes hosted by the Division between 1966 and 1982. Materials distributed to event participants comprise a large portion of the collection. In some cases, lecture manuscripts are available.

Series 6, Division Library, includes the administrative records of the Library of the Emory University Library School and its successor units. In addition to the reports, manuals, internal memoranda, and records relating to the closing of the Library in 1988, a series of paper doll kits, originating from the collection of the Division Library, is also included.

Series 7, Division closure, is comprised of materials related to the recommendation and decision to close the Division of Library and Information Management in 1988. Included are alumni and faculty responses to the recommendation for closure, memoranda related to the closure process, and records of the “Celebration of Education for Librarianship” held by the Division in the spring of 1988.

Series 8, Photographs and audiovisual materials, consists of photographs, slides, and audiovisual recordings of students, faculty members, events, and class lectures from the Division of Library and Information Management and its predecessor units.

Series 9, Personnel records, contains staff personnel files.

Arrangement Note

Organized into nine series: (1) Curriculum, (2) Student and alumni records, (3) Administrative records, (4) Directors' files, (5) Events, (6)Division Library, (7) Division closure, (8) Photographs and audiovisual materals, and (9) Personnel files.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev