EMORY UNIVERSITY WOMAN'S CLUB
Emory University Woman's Club records, 1919-2009

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

Fax: 404-727-0360

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmnqf


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University Woman's Club
Title: Emory University Woman's Club records, 1919-2009
Call Number:Series No. 34
Extent: 14 linear ft. (21 boxes), 16 bound volumes (BV), and 1 oversize paper folder (OP)
Abstract:The Emory University Woman's Club records document the activities of the club beginning with Emory College's move to Atlanta. The records include administrative materials, financial records, minutes, subject files, publications, and scrapbooks.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Transfer.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory University Woman's Club records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.


Collection Description

Administrative History

Founded January 18, 1919 at the Druid Hills Golf Club, the Emory University Woman's Club began with a representation of faculty and administrators' wives from the School of Theology, Law, and Medicine. This group organized with the purpose "to foster more social life among its members, to promote the welfare of the student body and to further the interests of the University in every way possible." The membership grew with the moving of the Liberal Arts faculty from Oxford, Georgia, to Atlanta in October of that same year.

Founded January 18, 1919 at the Druid Hills Golf Club, the Emory University Woman's Club began with a representation of faculty and administrators' wives from the School of Theology, Law, and Medicine. This group organized with the purpose "to foster more social life among its members, to promote the welfare of the student body and to further the interests of the University in every way possible." The membership grew with the moving of the Liberal Arts faculty from Oxford, Georgia, to Atlanta in October of that same year.

Scope and Content Note

The Emory University Woman's Club records provide a continuous picture of the Club’s history. Club activities described here range from hosting faculty parties and University receptions to fundraising for the University and engaging in volunteer civic work in the Emory community. The records document from a unique perspective many aspects of the history, growth, and development of the University. They reflect some of the effects of historic and social trends on Emory and on women and give evidence of the broadening of the Club’s membership to include women who were faculty and staff members in their own right.

Arrangement Note

Organized into seven series: (1) General records, (2) Minutes, (3) Subject files, (4) Interest groups, (5) Committees, (6) Scrapbooks, (7) Publications, and (8) Unprocessed additions.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev