GEORGIA CONFERENCE MANUAL LABOR SCHOOL. BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
Georgia Conference Manual Labor School Board of Trustees minutes, 1835-1838

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmkrc


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Georgia Conference Manual Labor School. Board of Trustees.
Title: Georgia Conference Manual Labor School Board of Trustees minutes, 1835-1838
Call Number:Series No. 45
Extent: 1 bound volume (BV) and 1 microfilm reel (MF)
Abstract:The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was founded for the purpose of educating students through both academic and physical work. This series contains minutes of the Georgia Conference Manual Labor School's Board of Trustees meetings from March 7, 1835 through December 15, 1838.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Special restrictions apply: microfilm is to be used for reference and copying. The original records may be consulted only with special permission.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Additional Physical Form

Microfilm.

Related Materials in This Repository

Emory College Board of Trustees minutes (Series 46)

Source

Transfer

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Georgia Conference Manual Labor School Board of Trustees minutes, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2004.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was organized by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1834. The first students enrolled in 1835, and, by 1836, the Manual Labor School trustees had begun to favor the idea of extending the school’s charter to provide for a university-type educational institute authorized to award diplomas and to grant degrees in literary study.

To fulfill that new purpose, Emory College was organized by the trustees of the Manual Labor School under the authority of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new college was chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia, December 10, 1836. The original Manual Labor School was never a financial success and continued as a separate entity only until July 22, 1840. At a joint meeting of the Boards of Trustees of the Manual Labor School and Emory College on that date, the two Boards were merged and the Manual Labor School officially transferred all its assets and liabilities to Emory College.

Scope and Content Note

This series contains minutes of the school's Board of Trustees meetings from March 7, 1835 through December 15, 1838.

Arrangement Note

Arranged by type of material.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names


Container List

Box Folder Content
BV1 Minutes, 1835-1838. Vol. 1: 1835 March 7 – 1838 Dec 15. Some number of pages from front of volume missing; pages not numbered; holograph.
MF1 Microfilm copy of BV1
v1.11.0-dev