EMORY COLLEGE.
Emory College general records, 1834-1918

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmq0r


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory College.
Title: Emory College general records, 1834-1918
Call Number:Series No. 47
Extent: 2 linear ft. (5 boxes), 10 bound volumes (BV), and 5 oversize paper folders (OP)
Abstract:The general records of Emory College consist of an assortment of materials documenting various aspects of the history of the College from its founding in 1836 through the time of its move to the Emory University campus in Atlanta in 1919. The collection includes items relating to events and activities such as commencement; printed material and clippings on the history of the College; writings and other documents of several early presidents of the College; student papers; library records; faculty and student records; and legal documents including a copy of the College charter.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Emory College Board of Trustees records (Series 46), Emory College financial records (Series 48), and Emory College student organization records (Series 49), Emory College registrar's records (Series 50), Emory College library records (Series 51), Emory College faculty records (Series 52), and Georgia Conference Manual Labor School Board of Trustees minutes (Series 45).

Source

Transfer

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory College general records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2003.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was organized by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1834. The first students enrolled in 1835, and, by 1836, the Manual Labor School trustees had begun to favor the idea of extending the school’s charter to provide for a university-type educational institute authorized to award diplomas and to grant degrees in literary study.

To fulfill that new purpose, Emory College was organized by the trustees of the Manual Labor School under the authority of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new college was chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia, December 10, 1836. The original Manual Labor School was never a financial success and continued as a separate entity only until July 22, 1840. At a joint meeting of the Boards of Trustees of the Manual Labor School and Emory College on that date, the two Boards were merged and the Manual Labor School officially transferred all its assets and liabilities to Emory College.

The original charter of Emory College was amended October 31, 1870, to recognize the formal relationships of the North Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South; the South Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Church, South; and the Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South to the Board of Trustees and the College.

Emory University was chartered on January 25, 1915, with members of the Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, serving also as the Board of Trustees for the new university. On March 17, 1915, the charter of Emory College was again amended to allow Emory College to become the College of Emory University. On March 31, 1915, the Emory University Board of Trustees elected a new Board of Trustees for Emory College from among their number, and, on April 1, 1915, the formal and legal transfer of the assets and affairs of Emory College to Emory University took place.

The College continued to function on its original campus at Oxford until the summer of 1919, when it was transferred to the new Emory University campus in Atlanta. The last meeting of a separate Board of Trustees for Emory College took place on June 7, 1919 at Oxford in conjunction with Emory College Commencement.

Historical Source: Bullock, Henry Morton. A History of Emory University, 1836-1936. Nashville: Parthenon Press, 1936.

The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was organized by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1834. The first students enrolled in 1835, and, by 1836, the Manual Labor School trustees had begun to favor the idea of extending the school’s charter to provide for a university-type educational institute authorized to award diplomas and to grant degrees in literary study.

To fulfill that new purpose, Emory College was organized by the trustees of the Manual Labor School under the authority of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new college was chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia, December 10, 1836. The original Manual Labor School was never a financial success and continued as a separate entity only until July 22, 1840. At a joint meeting of the Boards of Trustees of the Manual Labor School and Emory College on that date, the two Boards were merged and the Manual Labor School officially transferred all its assets and liabilities to Emory College.

The original charter of Emory College was amended October 31, 1870, to recognize the formal relationships of the North Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South; the South Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Church, South; and the Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South to the Board of Trustees and the College.

Emory University was chartered on January 25, 1915, with members of the Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, serving also as the Board of Trustees for the new university. On March 17, 1915, the charter of Emory College was again amended to allow Emory College to become the College of Emory University. On March 31, 1915, the Emory University Board of Trustees elected a new Board of Trustees for Emory College from among their number, and, on April 1, 1915, the formal and legal transfer of the assets and affairs of Emory College to Emory University took place.

The College continued to function on its original campus at Oxford until the summer of 1919, when it was transferred to the new Emory University campus in Atlanta. The last meeting of a separate Board of Trustees for Emory College took place on June 7, 1919 at Oxford in conjunction with Emory College Commencement.

Historical Source: Bullock, Henry Morton. A History of Emory University, 1836-1936. Nashville: Parthenon Press, 1936.

Scope and Content Note

The general records of Emory College consist of an assortment of materials documenting various aspects of the history of the College from its founding in 1836 through the time of its move to the Emory University campus in 1919. This includes records about events and activities; the history of the school (primarily brochures and newspaper clippings); several of the early presidents of the College; related publications; students' papers; faculty, student, and library records; and legal documents including a copy of the College charter.

The bulk of the materials pertaining to events and activities are related to commencement activities, including speeches and programs; Arbor Day observances (also referred to as Class Tree Day); and the laying of the Pierce Science Hall cornerstone. Legal documents include, but are not limited to, Acts of Incorporation for the Georgia Conference Manual Labor School and Emory College; deeds, title bonds, surety bonds and plot drawings of lots in Oxford, Ga.; and other records pertaining to the town of Oxford and the Georgia Conference Manual Labor School.

Information about the early presidents of the school relates to Warren A. Candler, James E. Dickey, Charles E. Dowman, Ignatius Alphonso Few, Atticus G. Haygood, Isaac S. Hopkins, George F. Pierce, Luther Smith, Osborne L. Smith, and James R. Thomas and includes correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, and other items. There is also a report from James R. Thomas to the Board of Trustees regarding the re-opening of the school following the Civil War. Related publications include a typescript of Florrie and the Blessed Town by Polly Stone Buck, telephone directories ca. 1947 and articles written about the College and the town of Oxford.

The collection also includes faculty records, library records, correspondence, records of student grades, a scrapbook related to Emory College namessake John Emory, a book of poetry by Emory faculty member Capers Dickson, and other items.

Arrangement Note

Organized into seven series: (1) Events and activities, (2) Historical information, (3) Legal documents, (4) Presidents, (5) Related publications, (6) Student papers, and (7) Miscellaneous.


Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev