EMORY COLLEGE.
Emory College faculty records, 1845-1917

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmgft


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory College.
Title: Emory College faculty records, 1845-1917
Call Number:Series No. 52
Extent: 0.25 linear ft. (1 box) and 9 bound volumes (BV)
Abstract:Emory College was founded in 1836 by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Early faculty members included Alexander Means, Gustavus John Orr, Osborne L. Smith, and George W. W. Stone. The collection is chiefly minute books from meetings of the Emory College faculty, 1845-1917. There are also scattered unbound minutes, 1898-1915; typed transcriptions of entries, 1845-1859; and a volume of tributes and memorials to Emory College faculty and administrators, 1874-1915. Minutes concern College policies including matriculation, curriculum, examinations, and the discipline of students.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Transfer 2005. Additional materials received 2010.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Emory College faculty records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Watkins, 2005, and Kate Stratton, October 2011.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was organized by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1834. The first students enrolled in 1835, and, by 1836, the Manual Labor School trustees had begun to favor the idea of extending the School’s charter to provide for a university-type educational institute authorized to award diplomas and to grant degrees in literary study.

To fulfill that new purpose, Emory College was organized by the trustees of the Manual Labor School under the authority of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new college was chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia, 10 December 1836. The original Manual Labor School was never a financial success and continued as a separate entity only until 22 July 1840. At a joint meeting of the Boards of Trustees of the Manual Labor School and Emory College on that date, the two Boards were merged and the Manual Labor School officially transferred all its assets and liabilities to Emory College.

The original charter of Emory College was amended 31 October 1870 to recognize the formal relationships of the North Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South; the South Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Church, South; and the Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South to the Board of Trustees and the College.

Emory University was chartered on 25 January 1915, with members of the Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, serving also as the Board of Trustees for the new university. On 17 March 1915, the charter of Emory College was again amended to allow Emory College to become the College of Emory University. On 31 March 1915, the Emory University Board of Trustees elected a new Board of Trustees for Emory College from among their number, and, on 1 April 1915, the formal and legal transfer of the assets and affairs of Emory College to Emory University took place.

The College continued to function on its original campus at Oxford until the summer of 1919, when it was transferred to the new Emory University campus in Atlanta. The last meeting of a separate Board of Trustees for Emory College took place on 7 June 1919 at Oxford in conjunction with Emory College Commencement.

Notable members of the Emory College faculty included Alexander Means, Osborn L. Smith, George W. W. Stone, and Gustavus John Orr.

Historical Source: Bullock, Henry Morton. A History of Emory University, 1836-1936. Nashville: Parthenon Press, 1936.

The Georgia Conference Manual Labor School was organized by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1834. The first students enrolled in 1835, and, by 1836, the Manual Labor School trustees had begun to favor the idea of extending the School’s charter to provide for a university-type educational institute authorized to award diplomas and to grant degrees in literary study.

To fulfill that new purpose, Emory College was organized by the trustees of the Manual Labor School under the authority of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The new college was chartered by the General Assembly of Georgia, 10 December 1836. The original Manual Labor School was never a financial success and continued as a separate entity only until 22 July 1840. At a joint meeting of the Boards of Trustees of the Manual Labor School and Emory College on that date, the two Boards were merged and the Manual Labor School officially transferred all its assets and liabilities to Emory College.

The original charter of Emory College was amended 31 October 1870 to recognize the formal relationships of the North Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South; the South Georgia Annual Conference, Methodist Church, South; and the Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South to the Board of Trustees and the College.

Emory University was chartered on 25 January 1915, with members of the Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, serving also as the Board of Trustees for the new university. On 17 March 1915, the charter of Emory College was again amended to allow Emory College to become the College of Emory University. On 31 March 1915, the Emory University Board of Trustees elected a new Board of Trustees for Emory College from among their number, and, on 1 April 1915, the formal and legal transfer of the assets and affairs of Emory College to Emory University took place.

The College continued to function on its original campus at Oxford until the summer of 1919, when it was transferred to the new Emory University campus in Atlanta. The last meeting of a separate Board of Trustees for Emory College took place on 7 June 1919 at Oxford in conjunction with Emory College Commencement.

Notable members of the Emory College faculty included Alexander Means, Osborn L. Smith, George W. W. Stone, and Gustavus John Orr.

Historical Source: Bullock, Henry Morton. A History of Emory University, 1836-1936. Nashville: Parthenon Press, 1936.

Scope and Content Note

The collection is chiefly minute books from meetings of the Emory College faculty, 1845-1917. There are also scattered unbound minutes, 1898-1915; typed transcriptions of entries, 1845-1859; and a volume of tributes and memorials to Emory College faculty and administrators, 1874-1915. Minutes concern College policies including matriculation, curriculum, examinations, and the discipline of students.

Arrangement Note

Arranged by record type.


Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Minutes, 1898-1915
1 1 Transcription of minutes, 1845-1859
BV 1 Minutes, 1845-1859
BV 2 Minutes, 1875-1916
BV 3 Minutes, 1889-1899
BV 4 Minutes, 1901-1904
BV 5 Minutes, 1906-1909
BV 6 Minutes, 1909-1911
BV 7 Minutes, 1911-1916
BV 8 Minutes, 1916-1917
BV9 Tributes and memorials to Emory College faculty and administrators, 1874-1915
v1.11.0-dev