MICHAEL C. CARLOS MUSEUM
Michael C. Carlos Museum records, 1916-2002, (bulk 1980-2002)

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmqxg

Digital Material Available in this Collection


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Michael C. Carlos Museum
Title: Michael C. Carlos Museum records, 1916-2002, (bulk 1980-2002)
Call Number:Series No. 86
Extent: 58.5 linear ft. (60 boxes), 1 oversized paper (OP), 1 extra-oversized paper (XOP), and
Abstract:The Michael C. Carlos Museum is part of Emory University and its collections include African, Egyptian, and Classical art. The records of the Michael C. Carlos Museum include annual reports, committee records, exhibition material, clippings, audiovisual materials, and event and promotional materials.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Special restrictions apply: Series 4 is closed to research in accordance with Emory University Archives access policy for unprocessed materials. Series 4 is stored off-site.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Transfer.

Custodial History

Combines collections previously known as: Michael C. Carlos Museum records and Emory University Museum of Art and Archaeology records.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Michael C. Carlos Museum records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2004.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Emory University Museum was founded in 1919 shortly after the opening of the University's Atlanta campus. The Museum moved in 1985 following a renovation of the old Law School building and the new location became Michael C. Carlos Hall. The Museum was also renamed at this time, becoming the Emory University Museum of Art and Archaeology, and later the Michael C. Carlos Museum.

The Emory University Museum was founded in 1919 shortly after the opening of the University's Atlanta campus. The Museum moved in 1985 following a renovation of the old Law School building and the new location became Michael C. Carlos Hall. The Museum was also renamed at this time, becoming the Emory University Museum of Art and Archaeology, and later the Michael C. Carlos Museum.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains promotional materials and clippings from exhibitions, events, lectures, and fundraisers held by the Carlos Museum. Also included are annual reports, a self-study committee report, various audiovisual recordings, and websites.

Arrangement Note

Organized into four series: (1) general records, (2) audiovisual recordings, (3) web archives, and (4) unprocessed materials.

Finding Aid Note

Finding aid available in the repository.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev