METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH. EDUCATIONAL COMMISSION.
Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Educational Commission records, 1914-1918

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bmtpt


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Educational Commission.
Title: Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Educational Commission records, 1914-1918
Call Number:Series No. 122
Extent: .5 linear ft. (1 box)
Abstract:The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was established by the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1914 to consider plans for establishing two universities with theology programs to be owned and controlled by the Church. Upon recommendation of the Educational Commission, the General Conference severed ties with Vanderbilt University and supported the expansion of Emory College at Oxford, Ga., to become Emory University in Atlanta, Ga., in 1915. The collection consists of official correspondence of the Commission; three bound volumes containing minutes of the Commission and its executive committee; drafts of resolutions; reports; and other papers concerning the Vanderbilt University case and the establishment of Emory and Southern Methodist Universities. Persons represented in the collection include Warren A. Candler, W. B. Murrah, James Henry McCoy, John Carlisle Kilgo, Plato Tracy Durham, Asa Griggs Candler, William Danner Thomson, Andrew J. Cobb, James Edward Dickey, Nathaniel Edwin Harris, Samuel Martin Inman, James H. Kirkland, and Harry H. Stone.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Warren Akin Candler papers (MSS 2) and Emory University Board of Trustees minutes (Series 39).

Source

Transfer

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Methodist Episcopal Church South Educational Commission records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Watkins, September 2008.


Collection Description

Administrative History

The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was established by the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South on May 22, 1914. Its purpose was to review the March 21, 1914 decision of the Supreme Court of Tennessee which in effect took away control of Vanderbilt University from the General Conference. The Commission was also instructed by the General Conference to make plans for the immediate establishment of a theology school or department to train Southern Methodist ministers and to consider plans for establishing two universities with such departments, one east and one west of the Mississippi River, to be owned and controlled by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Upon recommendation of the Educational Commission, further action by the General Conference to re-establish the Church's former ties with Vanderbilt University stopped, and Emory College at Oxford, Georgia was moved to Atlanta in April, 1915 to become Emory University, the Church-owned institution east of the Mississippi River. The Candler School of Theology, established in Atlanta in September, 1914 by the General Conference on the Commission's recommendation, affiliated immediately with the new university. Negotiations leading to the incorporation of the Atlanta Medical College into the university were initiated by the Commission in 1915.

Also on recommendation of the Commission, a theological school was established in connection with Southern Methodist University's opening at Dallas, Texas in 1915. This seminary became the western counterpart of Emory University's Candler School of Theology.

Among the members of the Educational Commission were Bishop Warren A. Candler (Chairman), W. B. Murrah, James Henry McCoy, John Carlisle Kilgo and the Reverend Plato Tracy Durham. Asa Griggs Candler and William Danner Thomson were key lay members of the Commission.

Scope and Content Note

The collection consists of official correspondence of the Commission; three bound volumes containing minutes of the Commission and its executive committee; drafts of resolutions; reports; and other papers concerning the Vanderbilt University case and the establishment of Emory and Southern Methodist Universities.

Correspondents include Warren A. Candler, Andrew J. Cobb, James Edward Dickey, Nathaniel Edwin Harris, Samuel Martin Inman, James H. Kirkland, James Henry McCoy, Harry H. Stone, and William Danner Thomson.

Arrangement Note

Arranged by material type.


Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Correspondence
Box Folder Content
1 1 Correspondence, June-July 1914
1 2 Correspondence, August-December 1914
1 3 Correspondence, 1915-1916
Minutes
1 4 Drafts, 1914-March 1915
1 5 Official minutes, 1914-June 1916
1 6 Executive committee minutes, July 1914-March 1915
Subject files
1 7 Vanderbilt University case, 1914-1915 and undated
1 8 Emory University and Southern Methodist University, 1914
1 9 Emory University and Southern Methodist University, 1915-1918
1 10 Emory University and Southern Methodist University, undated
v1.11.0-dev