EMORY UNIVERSITY.
Sorority records collection, 1933-1995

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bn08r


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University.
Title: Sorority records collection, 1933-1995
Call Number:Series No. 124
Extent: .5 linear ft. (1 box), 1 oversized paper (OP), and 2 extra-oversized paper folders (XOP)
Abstract:This collection brings together materials from various sororities on Emory University campus.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Collected from various sources by Emory University Archives staff.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Sorority records collection, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins, 2009.


Collection Description

Administrative History

National sororities at Emory began as social clubs that were organized soon after the Emory College of Arts and Sciences became a coeducational institution in 1954. The clubs were coordinated by the Interclub Council. In 1958 the Student Organizations and Activities Committee of the Student Council recommended that national sororities be accepted on campus. The request was granted, and on May 8, 1959 ten of the original twelve social clubs were chartered as chapters of national sororities. The Panhellenic Council was organized to oversee the activities of the chapters. The Intersorority Council is now the representative body governing sororities at Emory.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of records documenting the early social clubs and the transition from social clubs to chapters of national sororities. Information about individual chapters is limited primarily to clippings, invitations, etc. related to the May 1959 chartering celebration. Also contained in this collection is a certificate establishing a chapter of the professional education sorority, Kappa Delta Epsilon, which predates the founding of national social sororities on campus.

Arrangement Note

Arranged alphabetically by name of organization.

Finding Aid Note

Finding aid available in the repository.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Alpha Chi Omega, 1959
1 2 Alpha Delta Pi, 1959
1 3 Alpha Epsilon Phi, 1959-1961
1 4 Chi Omega, 1959
1 5 Delta Delta Delta, 1959-1972
1 6 Delta Gamma, 1959-1964
1 7 Interclub council, 1954-1958
1 8 Inter-sorority council, 1989-1995
1 9 Kappa Alpha Theta, 1959
1 10 Kappa Delta, 1959
OP1 Kappa Delta Epsilon, Emory University Chapter certificate, April 22, 1933
1 11 Kappa Kappa Gamma, 1959, no date
1 12 Panhellenic council, Constitution, undated
1 13 Panhellenic council, Events, 1967-1970
1 14 Panhellenic council, House, undated
1 15 Panhellenic council, Installation of national sororities, 1959
1 16 Panhellenic council, Newsletter, Go Greek, 1967-1975
1 17 Panhellenic council, Recommendation for the recognition of National Social Sororities, 1958
XOP1 Panhellenic council scrapbook, undated
XOP2 Panhellenic council scrapbook, undated
1 18 Rush information, 1959-1963
1 19 Phi Mu, 1959
v1.11.0-dev