Department of History records, 1965-1981

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322



Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/bs7zh

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University. Dept. of History
Title: Department of History records, 1965-1981
Call Number:Series No. 156
Extent: .25 linear ft. (1 boxes)
Abstract:The records of the Emory University Department of History meeting minutes, correspondence, and memoranda.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Special restrictions apply: Selected materials are closed to research until 2046 and 2049 in accordance with Emory University Archives policy for student educational records.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Related Materials in This Repository

Departmental newsletters can be accessed through the library catalog. Emory history newsletter (1954-1991) and Newsletter / Dept. of History, Emory University (1992-2004) (XE995 .H5 E6) no. 1 - no. 27 1954-1982, no. 29 - no. 35 1982-1988, no. 38 1991, [title change] no. 39 - no. 49 1992-2004.




[after identification of item(s)], Department of History records, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.


Processed by Sean Suarez, May 2013.

Collection Description

Administrative History

Formal instruction in history began at Emory College by 1868, when courses in Ancient History, Modern History, and the History of Rome augmented a curriculum that already included readings in Thucydides and Grecian and Roman “antiquities.” The study of history waned in the following decades, but in 1892 the College began to offer a Bachelor of Philosophy degree, which differed from the Bachelor of Arts by replacing latter’s requirements in Greek language with new requirements in History.

Courses in the Bachelor of Philosophy’s history sequence were initially offered by President Warren A. Candler, who also served as Lovick Pierce Professor of Mental and Moral Science, and forerunners to the Department of History emerged quickly out of the Department of Mental and Moral Science. In 1893, Candler hired the Rev. James E. Dickey—later the final President of Emory College from 1902-1915—to serve as Adjunct Professor in that department, and Dickey took over Candler’s instructional duties in history the next year, even as he continued to teach rhetoric, logic, and ethics. A gift from the Emory College alumni endowed a chair in historical studies in 1897, and Dickey was appointed Alumni Professor of History and Political Economy. The creation of the Alumni professorship led to a corollary institutional development—the establishment of a Department of History and Political Economy—and the first reference to a department by that name appears in the 1897 Emory College Catalog.

The institutional expansion and reorganization of Emory College as Emory University in 1915-1920 implied changes for the study of history at Emory. In 1916, the Department of History and Political Economy split. Its head, Edgar Hutchinson Johnson, became Alumni Professor of Political Economy and, three years later, Dean of the School of Economics and Business Administration. The Department of Political Economy would evolve into the current Department of Economics, and the School of Economics and Business Administration became what is now Emory University’s Goizueta Business School . None of these developments, however, left Emory with a department devoted entirely to the study of history.

Immediately upon the removal of Emory College to Atlanta and the establishment of the Graduate School in 1919, the University began to offer a graduate program in History, with courses leading to the Master of Arts degree. Emory’s undergraduate curriculum was offered within a “Department of History and Government,” however, where the study of history was combined with constitutional law, politics, and international relations. Course offerings ranged from American and European historical topics to U.S. and European politics and legal history. In addition, instruction in ancient Greek and Roman history continued during this period, and new courses were offered on the modern histories of Turkey, China, and Japan, with particular attention to their implications for contemporary political arrangements.

Finally, in 1934, courses in government were moved to the Department of Public Affairs, which in 1937 would be separated into the departments of Journalism and Political Science, and the Department of History emerged in the form in which it has more or less continued to the present. Having accepted graduate students at the M.A. level for three decades, the department began in the fall quarter of 1949 to admit students for the Ph.D. in History. The postwar period was a time of tremendous growth for the department, which grew from four faculty members in the years immediately preceding World War II to nine professors and five instructors in 1949. Through the 1970’s, the graduate program continued to grow in size and prominence through a grant from the Ford Foundation, which alone provided seven four-year fellowships for graduate study. By 1975, the faculty of the History Department had grown to seventeen professors, with strengths in its longstanding areas of emphasis: American, English, and European history.

Emory’s Department of History has continued to expand in recent years, with a curriculum that now encompasses African, Asian, and Latin American history, and with resources for the study of Jewish history through its partnership with the Tam Institute for Jewish Studies.

Scope and Content Note

The records is comprised of meeting minutes, correspondence, and memoranda from the Department of History at Emory University. Included are some course materials; correspondence regarding degree requirements; information regarding the department’s doctoral programs, including a print brochure; and departmental statistics. Materials document the activity of the Department of History primarily during the period 1970-1974. Much of the collection originated from the office of Professor Douglas Unfug, and Unfug’s brief correspondence with the Universities’ National Anti-War Fund (UNAF) is also included in this collection, as are his copies of the 1969 Coalition Statement issued by a group of students, faculty, and administrators in reaction to the Board of Trustees’ statement on "University-student relationships."

Arrangement Note

Arranged alphabetically.

Finding Aid Note

Finding aid available in the repository.

Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Anti-War Fund, 1970 (Correspondence of Professor Douglas Unfug)
1 2 Coaltion Statement, 1969 May (Correspondence of Professor Douglas Unfug)
1 3 Course offerings, statistics, and fellowships, 1970-1974
1 4 Departmental Meeting Minutes, 1970-1974
1 5 Memoranda, 1970-1973
1 6 Memoranda, 1970-1971 (RESTRICTED until 2046)
1 7 Student and candidate evaluations, 1969, 1971, 1974 (RESTRICTED until 2049)
OP1 Poster autographed by Max Cleland and Hamilton Jordan, 1981