EMORY UNIVERSITY.
Academic departments and programs collection, 1925-1995

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/gjc8t


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University.
Title: Academic departments and programs collection, 1925-1995
Call Number:Series No. 249
Extent: 1 linear ft. (2 boxes)
Abstract:Collection contains material assembled from various Emory University academic departments, institutes, and programs. Included are course listings, promotional materials, memoranda, and occasional departmental statements of purpose and historical sketches.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Transfer

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Academic departments and programs collection, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Emory University Archives staff.


Collection Description

Administrative History

Since its earliest years in Oxford, Georgia, Emory College (now Emory University) has been organized into academic departments reflecting different areas of curricular emphasis. By the mid-nineteenth century, Emory offered courses in at least six separate departments: Latin Language and Literature, French, Greek Language and Literature, English Literature, Mathematics, and Physical Science. Many more departments developed after Emory relocated to Atlanta, where the new university established professional schools and began offering graduate-level work in several disciplines. By the early twenty-first century, Emory University was comprised of over seventy academic departments and programs offering academic progams from the undergraduate to the master's and doctoral levels.

Scope and Content Note

Collection includes materials related to twenty-nine departments and programs operating within Emory University during the middle decades of the twentieth century. Records include departmental memoranda, statements of purpose, and historical sketches, as well as promotional material such as brochures, lecture announcements, and announcements of faculty appointments. In addition to academic departments, the collection includes material related to academic programs and institutes, such as the Program in Creative Writing and the Institute for Vico Studies.

Arrangement Note

Arranged alphabetically by subject.

Finding Aid Note

Originally kept as subject files in Series 1000.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Art History Department, 1975-1980
1 2 Biochemistry Department, circa 1953
1 3 Classics Department, 1925-1987
1 4 Classics at Emory, historical sketch by Herbert W. Benario
1 5 Creative Writing Program, circa 1990-1995
1 6 Education Division, 1937-circa 1970
1 7 Education Division: Extension Division, 1925-1971
1 8 Education Division: Health, Education, and Welfare (HEW) Fellowships, 1976
1 9 Education Division: Kappa Delta Epsilon, 1943-1971
1 10 Education Division: Syllabus, 1935
1 11 English Department, 1938-1979
1 12 Fine Arts Department, circa 1940-1964
1 13 General Studies Department, 1977-1978
1 14 Geology Department, 1951-1953
2 1 German Department, 1933-1939; 1976-1978
2 2 History Department, 1950-1979
2 3 Institute for Vico Studies, circa 1985
2 4 Institute of the Liberal Arts, circa 1955-1985
2 5 International Studies, 1979-1985
2 6 Journalism Program, 1934-1952
2 7 Latin American Studies Program, circa 1979
2 8 Mathematics Department, 1969-1982
2 9 Medieval and Renaissance Studies, undated
2 10 Near Eastern and Judaic Languages and Literatures, circa 1990
2 11 Philosophy Department, 1944-1979
2 12 Philosophy Department: A Brief History of Philosophy at Emory, by Donald Verene, 1987
2 13 Philosophy Department: Notes on the History of the Department of Philosophy, by Leroy Loemker, 1975
2 14 Physics Department, 1948, 1970
2 15 Political Science Department, 1916, 1962-1972
2 16 Psychology Department, 1952-1976
2 17 Religion Department, 1972-circa1978
2 18 Religion Department: David Goldwasser Lectureship in Religion and the Arts
2 19 Religion Department: Jay and Leslie Cohen Chair of Judaic Studies
2 20 Romance Languages Department, 1934-1979
2 21 Sociology and Anthropology Department, 1956-1979
2 22 Teaching Aids Department, 1948-1977
2 23 Theater Studies, circa 1990
2 24 Women's Studies Department, 1986-1993
v1.11.0-dev