EMORY UNIVERSITY.
Campus buildings and landmarks collection, 1935-2007

Emory University

Emory University Archives

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/ghkbn


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Emory University.
Title: Campus buildings and landmarks collection, 1935-2007
Call Number:Series No. 251
Extent: .5 linear ft. (1 box)
Abstract:Collection brings together material gathered about buildings on Emory University’s campus related to their history, construction, and maintenance.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Transfer

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Campus buildings and landmarks collection, Emory University Archives, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing

Processed by Emory University Archives Staff.


Collection Description

Administrative History

Emory University moved from Oxford, Georgia to its Atlanta campus following Coca-Cola Company President Asa Griggs Candler's 1914 million dollar land-grant. Situated in the Druid Hills area of Atlanta, the campus developed rapidly from 1914 through the 1930s. After World War II, the G.I. Bill led to a boom in the student population. Then University President Goorich C. White responded with an agressive building campaign through the 1950s. Philanthropist and former Coca-Cola president Robert W. Woodruff's 1979 gift to the University, at the time the single-largest gift to an American institute for higher education, precipatated another round of construction on campus that lasted through the twentieth-century.

Scope and Content Note

Collection includes maps, histories, and clippings about buildings and landmarks on Emory University’s campus related to their construction, maintenance, and occasional demolition. It includes material from building dedications, correspondence about campus history, as well as some reports and plans.

Arrangement Note

Arranged alphabetically in subject files.

Finding Aid Note

Originally kepts as subject files in Series 1000.


Selected Search Terms

Corporate Names

Form/Genre Terms


Container List

Box Folder Content
1 1 Alumni Memorial Building drawings and dedications, 1951-1956
1 2 Annex C opinion article from the Dekalb News/Sun, 1974
1 3 Assorted architectural histories and drawings, 1935-1970
1 4 Baker Woodlands correspondence, 1994
1 5 Civil War site (unverified) correspondence , circa 2000
1 6 Community House (1708 Haygood Drive) history, 1941-1994
1 7 Emory Conference Center Hotel promotional material, undated
1 8 George and Irene Woodruff Residential Center ground breaking, 1986
1 9 Goodrich C. White Hall ground breaking and dedication, 1977
1 10 Graduate and Professional Student Center ground breaking, 1963
1 11 Henry L. Bowden Hall dedication, 1991
1 12 Holly tree history, 1987-1997
1 13 Humanities Building history, undated
1 14 J. Pollard Turman Residential Center ground breaking and architect's book, 1982-1992
1 15 Lullwater House and Lullwater Park history and management, 1958-2002
1 16 Maps: assorted campus, 1950-1999
1 17 Maps: Facts and Figures, 1977-2007
1 18 Mary Gray Munroe Theater dedication, 1988
1 19 Monument to Gravity history and restoration, 1990-2003
1 20 "Planning Study for Arts and Science," 1972
1 21 "Report on Provisions of Building Facilities for Emory College's Departments of Biological Sciences, Mathematics, and Computer Science, Physics and the School of Medicine's Basic Science Department," 1982
1 22 Robert W. Woodruff Statue installation, 1983-1999
1 23 Sanford S. Atwood Hall dedication and architect's book, 1991
1 24 Sundial (removed) history, 1931-2001
1 25 Tufts House history and use, 1994
v1.11.0-dev