TRUST COMPANY OF GEORGIA.
Trust Company of Georgia collection, 1778-1965

Emory University

Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library

Atlanta, GA 30322

404-727-6887

rose.library@emory.edu

Permanent link: http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/8zzwp


Descriptive Summary

Creator: Trust Company of Georgia.
Title: Trust Company of Georgia collection, 1778-1965
Call Number:Manuscript Collection No. 294
Extent: 1.25 linear ft. (2 boxes) and 1 extra-oversized paper (XOP)
Abstract:Collection contains 18th century items collected by the Trust Company of Georgia, a trust and investment bank of Atlanta, and 20th century architectural materials related to the Trust Company's Equitable Building of Atlanta.
Language:Materials entirely in English.

Administrative Information

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Source

Gift, date unknown.

Citation

[after identification of item(s)], Trust Company of Georgia collection, Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University.


Collection Description

Historical Note

Trust Company of Georgia, a trust and investment bank in Atlanta, was founded in 1891 as Commercial Travelers' Savings Bank. After a corporate restructure in 1893, the company changed its name to Trust Company of Georgia. In 1985, the company merged with SunBanks, Inc. of Orlando, Florida to create SunTrust Banks, Inc. Both companies operated under their original names until 1995, when they took the Sun Trust name.

Trust Company of Georgia was originally located in the Equitable Building, Atlanta's first skyscraper and the South's first fireproof building. Designed by Chicago-based architectural firm Burnham and Root, the skyscraper and surrounding residential development (Inman Park, Druid Hills) formed part of developer Joel Hurt's vision for Atlanta. The building was competed in 1892 and demolished in 1970-1971.

Trust Company of Georgia, a trust and investment bank in Atlanta, was founded in 1891 as Commercial Travelers' Savings Bank. After a corporate restructure in 1893, the company changed its name to Trust Company of Georgia. In 1985, the company merged with SunBanks, Inc. of Orlando, Florida to create SunTrust Banks, Inc. Both companies operated under their original names until 1995, when they took the Sun Trust name.

Trust Company of Georgia was originally located in the Equitable Building, Atlanta's first skyscraper and the South's first fireproof building. Designed by Chicago-based architectural firm Burnham and Root, the skyscraper and surrounding residential development (Inman Park, Druid Hills) formed part of developer Joel Hurt's vision for Atlanta. The building was competed in 1892 and demolished in 1970-1971.

Scope and Content Note

The collection contains 18th century items collected by the Trust Company of Georgia, and 20th century architectural materials related to the Trust Company's Equitable Building of Atlanta.

The collection contains 42 blueprints and drawings for the Equitable Building (later the Trust Company of Georgia Building), Burnham and Roots architects, from circa 1890-1924 and a model constructed in 1965 before demolition of the building. The collection also includes four rare Georgia items collected by the Trust Company dating from 1778-1797. Detailed information regarding the 18th century items collected by the Trust Company of Georgia accompanies each item in the container list.

Arrangement Note

Arranged into two series: (1) Equitable Building architectural drawings and model and (2) Collected historical materials.


Selected Search Terms

Personal Names

Corporate Names

Topical Terms

Geographic Names

Form/Genre Terms


Description of Series

v1.11.0-dev